Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacing caliper piston boots

Check this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881881

With those, it looks like you can unbolt the caliper, set aside carefully (support with coat hanger or rest on a tool box, etc.) gently press the brake pedal to extend the piston, remove the dust cover and seal, install new ones, then push the piston back. If they aren't threaded, a c-clamp will press back in. Bleed the air. Use a socket on the bleeder to avoid stripping. 

Yes the piston has to come all the way out.

Put the new seal over the piston, not in the grove but down by the bottom end of the piston.

Extend the seal and work it into the caliper grove.  once in push the piston in.

I've also had luck putting the seal into the caliper and then using low pressure air to pop the seal up onto the piston.

are you trying to replace the boot without removing the piston and seal?  your thread says "with" but i think you may mean "without"?

i've only ever done both - the piston seal and the dust boot.

but since the piston boot is the last step can't one just do the piston boot only?

shortlid,

If both dust boots are "gashed", that means crud/rust has gotten underneath and may have started to corrode the pistons and the caliper bore, meaning a seized piston is probably in the near future.

The best thing to do is to remove the calipers from the car, then using compressed air, pop the pistons out of the bores. Take fine steel wool (package marking will be 0000) and polish the pistons clean, do the same for the caliper bores, and flush well with clean brake fluid. Then check both the pistons and the bores for pitting of the metal. If there is MINOR pitting or none at all, they are reusable. If baddly pitted, such that a good seal can no longer be made, replace the caliper.

Get a new internal seal and install in the caliper using brake fluid to lubricate it. Install the new dust boot the same way. Then watch this YouTube video on how to reinstall the piston using an air gun. Very simple.

The other advice I can give you, is to watch several of the YouTube videos on removing and changing out the caiper seals and dust boots. Its not rocket science, and after reinstalling everything and rebleeding the system, you'll never go to a mechanic again for brakes. Good Luck!