Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to me 99 Outback with a 2.2 install

Just in front of the brake master cylinder is the EGR valve on the intake manifold if you want to pop the hood and look for it.  It's right here:

http://www.porcupine73.com/pics/sensors/egr96-1.jpg

But if there's no CEL and the CEL bulb is functioning properly then we can guess he's got an EGR equipped EJ22.

Thanks for the pic.  It does have an EGR valve. 

Question for you.  When I change the tranny fluid, do I change it two times and then on the third change replace the spin on filter?  Would it be pointless to just change it once.  I don't have a garage and the weather can be a challage this time of year.  If I buy the fluid and filter, a local place will drain and fill for $20 a pop. 

Thanks

Thanks

Don't think changing the fluid once is much help. That only changes about 50% of the ATF. What is generally done, is to drain and fill 3 times with short drives between drains to mix new with old ATF, before draining. Yes, I would install the spin filter upon doing the third fluid change. That is what I have done on my 99 OBW.  Winter in Michigan is not a good time to be working on a car, unless perhaps you can find a heated garage. I have used drive up ramps placed at the front of my car to drain the fluid and change the tranny filter. You will need a funnel with a long slender tube to add ATF at the dip stick tube. None of this is difficult,  just can be messy if any ATF is spilled.