Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy shaky sterring wheel

The car is a 97 Legacy Sedan with ~160,000 miles.  A bent wheel was found on the front passenger side.  I have replaced that , but  it still moves the steering wheel some times.  Sort of weird though.  Some times the steering wheel has no movement at all, but other times the outside edge of the wheel moves almost an inch along the circumference.

If the steering wheel is steady and I rock it slightly side to side there is resistance, or it feels notchy.  On the bent wheel side also when I go over a rise in the road that takes the weight off the suspension, I heard what I think is a CV joint rattle.

Question is could a CV joint going bad cause the weird steering wheel problem, or do I have something else bent under the front end from a curb? impact?

Its the kids car and have not really got a good story of how the tire rim got bent in the first place so I am sort of guessing about the curb or pothole impact.

My kids are grown, but well remember kid's car issues. Usually problem caused by kid in-attention, like tuning the radio, or talking on the cell, and then just happened to run into the curb. My daughter ran into the back of a car, while tuning the radio.

Suggest jacking up the front passenger side off the ground. See if there is any "play" or movement, if the road wheel is pulled back and forth, or up and down. That will tell you if a tie rod, or ball joint is bad. Also, a good time to inspect the road tire for problems. Since the road wheel was bent, there is a good possibility that the front end alignment is not correct. Have an alignment shop check that out. They would also check for possible ball joint or tie rod issues, as well as any CV issue.

I had taken it to the shop I use.  They found the bent road wheel but "nothing" else.  So either they quit when they found that, or it is something subtle or odd.

If I want to put the front on jackstands to cycle the steering where is a good spot for the stands?