Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5i Forester burning oil

I've had my forester for a little over a year now. Only the past 4 months have I been putting some real miles on it. I commute 40 miles to work and 40 miles home from work. My 2.5i forester has been burning oil a LOT! I have to keep 2 quarts in my car. I know they have a consumption problem. 3k miles after my recent oil change I was a quart and a half low (my oil light was on). Then 2k miles after that I had to add ANOTHER quart of oil.

Anyone else having this consumption issue? Did taking it in and having them do the test and 'fixing' it help at all? 

I have a son who is young and think this is a MAJOR issue. Especially because it can effect the entire vehicle! I am all about being safe and that is why I bought my forester in the first place. Though this is not okay in my opinion! I bring it to the dealership on thursday to have the test done. I know they will be against doing a buy back, but I believe that they should because that past time was not the first time I had to put oil in it almost right after I had it serviced. Any advice on how to handle something like this? Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my subaru. It was awesome to me. BUT being a mom and having to commute, it's not a good thing to go through. 

It calls for synthetic for 0w20. For 40 wt perhaps a 0w40. 

The reason for 0w20 is fuel economy standards. Subaru never historically used 20 wt oil until the FA engines 2012. Prior engine models call for 5w30 and other oil weights such as 10w30 and 10w40 in warm climates. Personally, I use 0w40 because 40 wt oil, but the 0w makes it ideal as winter/all season. These factory fill 5w30 and 0w20 oils are for 'energy conserving' standards here in USA with manufacturers' economy standards per the EPA

IT is wise in any case to check the oil often and add as necessary. It i s normal to use a quart in 3000 mi, but you wouldnt expect that in a new car. 

Traditionally the case for oil loss would be faulty pcv, crankcase baffle plate leaks, or missing o-ring from oil pan gasket service, typical of higher mileage Subarus.

There may h ave been some TSB's or recall for consumption. There may  be a factory defect in regards to the piston ring installation (as had been with some toyotas)

With a new platform, and in my opinion, Subaru should acommodate you and give the new platform time to prove its design and refinement.