Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AGAIN I need new Low Beams for '05 Legacy ? What gives ?

Hi ALL!

I have  2005 Legacy Wagon. I've had it about 1 yr + . Anyhow, I have just had another set of those Sylvania Silverstar H7 low beams go on me ! At the SAME time ! Just how can that be ??? Anyhow....I bought them because of the volume of light they do throw when they are working ! I have a plain Jane Legacy I....NO fog lamps. I have had fog lamps on my last 2 Legacy's because they were GT's. These bulbs at low beams throw a wider stream of light. But blowing up after only 7 months just doesn't work !

SO....what do I get for H7, Low Breams that work this well ?

I've seen those LED low beams on Ebay.....are they a joke like I think they are ?

HELP !!! SubeeTed !

Edited by SubeeTed

2 things when running silverstar bulbs.

Power

Ground

Most of the time the stock wiring doesn't allow sufficient current flow that high output bulbs, like the silverstars, need. Sometimes it's because the power supply wiring to the bulbs is too small or is corroded and can't deliver the proper amperage. Other times its due to a poor ground.

Upgrade the wiring to the bulbs. Use relays to deliver current straight from the battery via larger guage wiring (be sure to fuse this wiring) . Ground the lamps with a large guage ground wire to a clean chassis ground such as the frame of the car.

Also upgrade the lamp sockets to high current sockets with larger wires.

I've done this on several cars and it makes a noticable difference in light output even with stock bulbs. With high amp bulbs this ensures adequate power delivery so the bulbs do not burn out due to being underpowered.

• Like 1

Are you touching the glass part of the bulb with your fingers? If so, that is the problem. The slight amount of oil from your fingers left on the glass envelope over heats the bulb to cause an early burn out. Always best to clean the bulb glass with rubbing alcohol using a kleenex, or paper towel prior to installation, then only handle the new bulb for installation using the kleenex or paper towel.