Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 2.5L DOHC pistons in a '96 2.5L DOHC ?

Hello, I'm new to Soobs and have a 96 2.5l DOHC Outback that needs the cylinders bored to .02 over. I was only able to find .02 over pistons

for a '99 2.5l DOHC from NPR. I typoed the year and it should be '99 pistons in a '96.I measured them up and found them to be .046 shorter from the pin center line to the top of the piston. Also they are .211 shorter overall.  And I think the valve depressions will still have .024 clearance, not sure though as the machine work has not been done yet and I am researching before I do it. So, is this an option? Or will I have issues. The information given by the members on this forum has helped me in the past and I am grateful.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by JohnM

I'd run the math and see how much your CR is changed with the .046 difference. If the changes are acceptable to you, then go for it. The skirt length will tend to be noisier until warmed up.

Why did you not just get another block?

? what is the end desire for your build?

O.

Thanks for the reply O.

The block has 218000 on it and would like to keep it going for a while longer. I suppose i didn't want to take the risk of buying a used block just to find other issues when I dug into it. The heads have had a valve job and faced. Not sure what formula to use to find CR.

John

You originally state the pistons you have are for the 99 dohc, if they are they are they should have a large square-ish dish in the middle, 99+ sohc pistons are relatively flat. There may be some confusion in which pistons you have as both were used in 99, could you post a picture of which ones you have?

To retain a close to stock compression ratio I'd run the 04-06 sti head gasket, part number 11044AA642. Assuming the heads and block are prepped correctly you won't have any future head gasket problems. You can find those head gaskets on eBay for about 70-80 for the pair shipped.