Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy won't start after water pump replacement timing mistake please help!

I made a big mistake replacing my water pump on my 96 legacy 2.2! It started overheating so I replaced the thermostat hoping that was all it was. Still overheated with no coolant flow so I started on the water pump. I was in a huge hurry because this is my only vehicle and this is where I made my mistake. Thank goodness this is a non interference motor because I didn't put the timing back to where it's supposed to be. I feel stupid and ashamed to have not payed more attention to such a big important step. Besides the fact.. I did it and of course it didn't run once I put it back together. I realized what I had done as soon as it didn't start. After a panic session I found out about it being non interference... Calmed down and took it back apart to fix it. It was only a few teeth off.. The belt still had the alignment marks so I set the pulley and crank marks to the belt marks then put it all back together but to my dismay it still won't start. I've gone through everything I can think of and within my ability and equipment. I have fuel air and fire. Is my coil going bad but the spark seems strong? Fuel pours out of the filter. Air filter is clean no blockage anywhere. I pulled the valve covers thinking worst case that maybe a valve was stuck or broken and didn't have compression. They seem fine. Could the timing being off cause electrical confusion? Crank or cam position sensor go out? Would those being bad cause it not to start? I need help. I don't want to take this to a shop. Funds are tight but I will change parts if it's a possibility it could be the problem. Any ideas will be helpful. Thank you so much in advance.

• Like 1

I hope that's it. I will check first thing in the morning. If the front mark is in a different place than another mark in the rear then that is definitely the problem. Why would they do that... Put two different marks and the one you can't see is the one you go by?? Crazy

Thank you xdeadeye1 I feel like that will be the problem. There is hope! When I tried to start it out of time it cranked funny. When I put it back to where I thought was right the crank pattern and sound changed to what was close to regular but it still didn't seem or sound right but it was close. I would have never thought to look for another mark... I'm really impressed with all of the Subaru info on this forum and thank you again for such a fast response and suggestion. I plan to keep my car for an extra when I buy something else so I'm happy to know this is here.

Hi sounds like you've got it figured out. Right, not the arrows for timing. The hash marks are for timing. It's happened to many others. The arrows just look so appealing, like wow this huge arrow (esp on the cam sprockets) is just begging for attention while the proper hash mark sits quietly in the background.

cranksprocket-96at-note.jpg

• Like 1

I hope that's it. I will check first thing in the morning. If the front mark is in a different place than another mark in the rear then that is definitely the problem. Why would they do that... Put two different marks and the one you can't see is the one you go by?? Crazy

The arrow is cylinder #1 TDC. The marks actually put all the pistons in the middle. Doing it this way you don't have to worry about valve/piston interferance when timing (on later engines), but mostly because one of the cams won't happily sit in the TDC position making it extremely difficult to time.