Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Outback, needs front strut mounts (top hats) Sensen struts any good?

My wife's 98 Outback needs top hats.Tie rods and ball joints are tight, but when hit a bump with front left, the car will shutter for a split second. It has been this way for a while, but now is getting worse. The front struts are prolly the originals with 166K on the odo, and are still serviceable, but I can tell they are not the best.

I checked multiple on line auto parts stores for replacement struts and top hats. KYB struts are what I have bought in the past, but like everything else they have gotten expensive. All KYBs are priced near, or over $100 each from vendors. Add the cost of new top hats, and overall cost is around $325.00. Our 98 Outback is on its last legs. The body is not that good, so prolly only keep for a couple more years. So, I am thinking cheap fix to last a couple of years. In my on line search, I came across Sensen struts. Yea, they are cheap Chinese struts, selling for one third the cost of KYBs. Anyone have experience using Sensen struts?? Will they hold up for a couple of years??

A friend of mine ran sensens and they didn't last all that long. If you don't drive it on really crappy roads full of holes all winter they'll probably hold up fine, though.

FWIW, KYB struts are around $60 on rockauto.

I had gone to Rock auto website, and found it hard to navigate. Returned again per your suggestion, but nothing is listed specifically for Legacy Outback fronts, only Legacy and Legacy GT. I looked for KYB part # KY235633, and KY235632, which is the correct part number, but not found on the Rock Auto website..

KYB's

Best deal I get on them is when I find an almost new set in the junk yard.  I grab them when I see them $25 each complete, strut, spring and top hat.

Amazon or Ebay also has some good prices on KYB strut sets from time to time.