Ultimate Subaru Message Board

0440 code 1999 Forester = Purge control Solenoid?

I already replaced the filler tube months ago, no CEL light since then. Until now. Reset lasts a few days.

On a 1999 Forester does a 0440 code LIKELY mean the purge control solenoid? Or the pressure control solenoid?

The Haynes Legacy manual says I have to drop the  tank to get at one of the solenoids, but there are 2 electrical connectors right near the vapor canister by the right rear fender so I assume one is vent and one is purge.

It looks like one of the small vapor lines over the rear crossmember might be rusted.  That looks like a joy to get at.

Edited by uniberp

I find that a lot of times the evap codes are often caused by chronic overfilling the gas tank.  IF that is the cause, then it is usually self curing by simply stop filling at the first click.  If that is not the case, then either the purge valve or the canister has to be replaced.  However, it the vent line is rusted through and has a leak, that could be the issue.  Instead of replacing the line, I would just cut it and slip a tight fitting rubber hose over it.

The purge control solenoid is under the intake manifold.

The two at the back that you're seeing I'm not sure of the names, but one of them could be the vent valve. The solenoids are not typical causes for this code.

If you can see that the vent line is rusted, that's probably the cause.