Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Experiences With K&N Air Filters, buying advice help

Ok so I am considering getting a K&N air filter for my blue buddy (1984 GL Wagon EA81. 165,262 mi), but im really torn at this point. I have heard wonderful things about K&N. I have read up quite a bit about them and I really would like one. But before I do I thought I would check with the magical subaru farries which dwell within this form :P  :D . Anyone ever run or currently run a K&N? Any noticeable gains in performance (mpg, power, acceleration, filtration). The main thing stopping me right now is the rather steep $65 for the filter. In reality, the thing would pay itself off in no time because you never need to throw it away, but I wanted to make extra, extra, extra, sure that it is worth laying down sixty five smackers for. Thoughts? Experiences? 

You will notice a bit more power. I have run K&N's on a number of my rigs. My boat has one, my 400hp '77 3/4 ton Chev, my '95 3/4 ton BB Chev, all my bikes and my XT. They're worth it. Just have to service them when they start to get dirty and if you have a MAF, you need to pay CLOSE attention to the oiling as the can says. a LIGHT coat of oil. I can't tell you how many MAFs I've replaced on peoples cars over the years because they soaked the filter. It goes right through and gets baked to the MAF skewing the readings or taking it out all together. I say go for it.

• Like 1

Ok quick google search and I found that the MAF is the 'mass airflow sensor' (learn somthing new every day) :) . Im pretty sure my car does not have one,(someone correct me if im wrong) although still a great tip not to over-soak the filter.

Your car has a carburetor, and therefore no MAF :)

Carbs usually don't care what filter they have as long as it flows enough air. I had (have) a K&N on my BRAT and I didn't notice any real pickup in power, but I did notice it's resiliency to oil coming through the PCV system.

If you have higher mileage, a K&N may be worth it in the fact that it doesn't sog up with oil like a paper filter does.

I may have the part number laying around somewhere for that if you'd like the exact number :)

Twitch

No maf on the carb and the only thing to really gain from it is not having to replace it. Examples of Chevy need not apply to subaru as the mechanicals and carburetor is fundamentally different. Good luck and use 40 wt oil

Edited by MilesFox

K&N air filters are junk for the suckers.

You are not going to gain power or mpg,

You are going to lose filtration ability,

Oil analysis shows engines running K&Ns have greater oil contamination from airborn debris.

The non replacable filter element is a downside not upside,

They are a pain in the rump roast to service,

The foam is subject to developing holes w/repeated handling-say goodbye to any pretense of filtration,

I cringe when I see a K&N.

Stick with the paper element.

To clarify, I simply stated engines with MAFs can have problems, not that he had one. As far as comparing Subarus and Chevys, yes there is a difference, but it is not 'fundamental'. An internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine with the exception of the rotary and axial engines which are fundamentally different. Same goes for a carburetor unless it's variable venturi and even then, it does the same thing no matter who made it.

To Naru: K&N does not use foam in the filter. It is a cotton/fiber blend. There are foam pre-filters and yes, the do fall apart. Yes, improperly serviced filters will suffer damage and they will allow more particulates in the engine. No argument there....

And don't even get me started on the joke of 'cold air' intake systems. Hey, lets take out the factory system that draws cooler air from ducting that goes outside the engine compartment and replace it with huge a** ducting and a filter that directly draws hot air from inside the engine compartment (except for a few better kits). Brilliant! While we're at it, I have some beautiful beach front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you....

Your car has a carburetor, and therefore no MAF :)

Carbs usually don't care what filter they have as long as it flows enough air. I had (have) a K&N on my BRAT and I didn't notice any real pickup in power, but I did notice it's resiliency to oil coming through the PCV system.

If you have higher mileage, a K&N may be worth it in the fact that it doesn't sog up with oil like a paper filter does.

I may have the part number laying around somewhere for that if you'd like the exact number :)

Twitch

haha yeah like I said I was pretty sure there was no MAF on my car, being that there are so few electronics on my car to begin with.

Thanks for offering, but I have already had my eye on the one that fits my car. I think I'll make the buy sometime this week since the general assessment from you guys is that they will be a good investment. 

Naru must cringe at almost every Weber conversion. Being they come with a K&N knock off. On a stock EA81 you will see virtually nothing performance wise being we only have 73 hp. At 54 years old I have run them on many vehicles with no issue what so ever. Installed my Weber at 155k and now have close to 240k with it's cheap K&N clone. So the difference in filtration which is less with a freshly cleaned K&N is not significant factor in my opinion. They are cotton gauze, not foam.

On the other hand, at $65.00 you can buy how many factory filters good for 15k or more miles each? I would not buy a stock K&N at that price for a car that old. Unless you throw away paper filters prematurely it is very unlikely you will come out money ahead.

• Like 1

i prefer paper filters.  you cant flow more air without letting more stuff in and I never liked the oil system much.  if you were wheeling in a dusty environment (or perhaps if you live in one) and will be changing air cleaners often, then I would go K&N for the reusability of them.  for normal stock applications where extreme longevity is desired I would go with the paper one.  you wont see a performance increase unless the filter you replace is extremely clogged, and you would see that with both new cleaners.

that said if your a micro manager and will change the air cleaners every oil change or something then get the K&N since it will save you some money.  if you will change it once every couple of years like the rest of us then stick with paper.

K&N air filters are junk for the suckers.

You are not going to gain power or mpg,

You are going to lose filtration ability,

Oil analysis shows engines running K&Ns have greater oil contamination from airborn debris.

The non replacable filter element is a downside not upside,

They are a pain in the rump roast to service,

The foam is subject to developing holes w/repeated handling-say goodbye to any pretense of filtration,

I cringe when I see a K&N.

Stick with the paper element.

+1

Marketing trick to appeal to people who want to do something to "improve" their car but have no real money, knowledge, etc to do any real upgrades.

Spend the $65 bucks on something your car actually needs.

Stick to paper filter....your engine will thank you for it.

This is exactly what I was seeing on a lot of web sites and reviews of K&N: a lot of back and forth between the majority of people who say K&Ns rock and the people who have practically declared war against K&N. So, despite many of you heeding that I crusade against the marketing injustice of K&N, I did ended up buying the filter and am currently running it in my car. I know I have probably sent cringes up many of your backs, but honestly, after reviewing several lab tests by K&N and other independent test labs; and after hearing many a good word about K&N from a lot of people, both local and on the web, I decided it would be money well spent. 

My car now as a slight but noticeable gain in acceleration. 

Here are the MPG results for my car, with, and without K&N. Every morning I was performing this test I let my car warm up for exactly 3 minutes. I run non-ethanol 87 octane fuel and Quaker State Full Synthetic Advanced Durability 10W-30 in my car. I drive my 4 speed wagon at 55 to 60 mph on the highway with my tires full and I usually shift at around 3000 to 3500 rpms. When I filled up the first time with the paper filter, I got just barely under 26 MPG. When I filled up with the K&N filter, I got  just over 28 MPG. 

As for filtration, its gonna be a while before I will be able to see just how effective K&Ns are in that respect. Although after reading several lab reports, I am not overly concerned that it will do poorly. 

Edited by Sapper 157