Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 1995 legacy wagon has begun to misfire again this time it happens after the car has warmed up once its warm it starts missing when idling and will misfire while driving until i get some speed up then will stop missing until i slow down again or drive to easy for too long. i keep a code reader in the car 2 times today the check engine light began flashing and as soon as it would stop flashing and go solid i would scan it and get p0301 each time cylinder 1 misfire. i have new plugs on the car and i replaced the coil recently with another used coil. what do you think my issue is? witch cylinder is # 1?

they are ngk platinum alloy plugs its what the parts store gave me for the car. the wires are the wires that were on the car when i bought it. the coil is a diamond coil that came from a junk yard car witch looked like it has the coil and wires replaced recently i should have grabbed the wires too. its been cold outside i haven't gone back out to the car since last night its still 9 degrees outside now. when i replaced the coil last time there was oil in the #1 spark plug hole could this oil be what is causing my misfire? it looked like it was running down the top of the block and into cylinder 1's spark plug hole. the oil was not pooled very high in the hole but it was there i cleaned it out when i changed the coil it could have pooled back in there again in this time now.

Edited by sirtokesalot

ok well i cleaned the oil out of there and put the plug back cars running now warming up. it missed for a moment when i first started it but im guessing that was from the little bit of oil that got in the cylinder because it cleared right up. once it warms up im going to take it for a drive to see if the problem is fixed and if it is than i need to figure out how the oil is getting in there.

Oil degrades the boot on the plug wire and allows spark to arc through it.

Fix the leak, then put a new set of plug wires on it.

Common leakers on top of the block in that area are the power steering pump, ad the oil pressure switch.

What color is your coolant? What color is the fluid that's getting in the plug well?