Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2015 Impreza: can lights be kept on when car off

Hello

I am a new Subaru driver.  I recently got a 2015 Impreza.  And I occassionally park (and leave) my car for a short time where there are no street lights.  I am concerned about the car getting hit.  And I would like to leave the parking lights on for ten minutes while I run an errand.  I have not been able to figure out how to get the parking lights to stay on when I turn the car off and remove the key.

Isn't there a way to get the parking lights to stay on?

TIA

- GaryE

Well this is a first!

Normally people discover the "virgin" switch by accident and complain that they can't turn their lights OFF!

There is a rocker switch on the steering column right behind the steering wheel.

Flip the switch and your lights stay on.

Apparently it is a requirement in some European countries.

Oh, and don't forget to switch it off when not needed as it is also referred to as the battery kill switch by Subaru techs since it kills batteries because people hit it by mistake while cleaning or resetting the odometer!

Edited by brus brother

Hello

I am a new Subaru driver.  I recently got a 2015 Impreza.  And I occassionally park (and leave) my car for a short time where there are no street lights.  I am concerned about the car getting hit.  And I would like to leave the parking lights on for ten minutes while I run an errand.  I have not been able to figure out how to get the parking lights to stay on when I turn the car off and remove the key.

Isn't there a way to get the parking lights to stay on?

Isn't this where the flashers could save the day?

So Steve's 2014 Impreza doesn't have the switch AND my 2015 Impreza does not have the switch.  How do I go about leaving the parking lights on when I turn the car off and take the key with me?

Edited by garye

Yeah, Subaru had pretty much completely done away with that switch by 2010 (although I think the Tribeca may have had it all the way until production ended in 2014). The 2008 Impreza was the first to ditch it... some people may remember my apparently-famous rant about it.

I think they did away with it because automatic headlights have pretty much standard across the industry, and thus there's no need for it anymore, even from a legal perspective.

If you want the lights on in a newer Subaru without the switch, just turn the headlight switch off and then turn it back on after the car has already been shut off. I don't know if they'll stay on indefinitely (or until the battery dies) or whether they're on a timer, but they will come on.

Edited by DerFahrer