Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another 2wd to four wheel conversion...

I may purchase another subie...... Loyale,,,,,

I have wagons... to use as  parts..... 

So it is a 4wd wagon.... Its parts would go to

a 2wd sedan..............

Transferring the 4wd from the wagon to the   the 2wd  sedan....

I guess I will have issues regarding drive shaft?

What other things will I have to do?

Are all 2wd vehicles swappable?

Is there drilling and measuring....?

or is it straight forward??????

Thanks Micky

All swappable. You just need to fashion a mount for the center carrier bearing for the driveshaft. Take a peak under your 4wd car and you'll see a mount around the center of the drive shaft. Two bolts secure it on each side to the car. Your 2wd car will not have those holes for the bolts.

Yep, driveshaft carrier bracket. I just had an EA81 one-piece shaft lengthened to match the EA82.

Rear diff mount has 2 bolts on either side that bolt it to the framerails. These nuts are not present in the 2WD, but there are divots where they go. Just drill and tap. Don't overtorque, and use lock washers. The one I did is still being daily beaten, now 3 owners later.

Everything else is bolt-on

Ok, SOunds great......

I'll see if I can move on this.....

and get this car.....

So the wheel base is the same from Wagon to Sedan?

and you do the carrier bracket and the two shafts will pop in the sedan?

THat is what it sounds like is being said here, is that is correct?

Sedan, wagon, coupe are all the same wheelbase. Only difference in the floor is behind the rear wheels.

I'd be surprised if you need to drill any holes for the rear diff bracket, every 2wd sedan I've ever seen had the threaded holes already there (XTs are a different story). But I'm in another country where 90% of them sold were 4wd wagons. The only thing usually missing is the centre bearing brackets for the tailshaft.

The tailshaft centre bearing brackets are spot welded onto the car.

If you've got a spare car, then cut them out of the floor, grind the floor metal off, bolt them onto the tailshaft so you can position them in the trans tunnel correctly, then weld them back on.

Don't forget to remove the front seats & centre console, and lift the carpet, otherwise you'll catch it on fire...

Sedan, wagon, coupe are all the same wheelbase. Only difference in the floor is behind the rear wheels.

I'd be surprised if you need to drill any holes for the rear diff bracket, every 2wd sedan I've ever seen had the threaded holes already there (XTs are a different story). But I'm in another country where 90% of them sold were 4wd wagons. The only thing usually missing is the centre bearing brackets for the tailshaft.

The tailshaft centre bearing brackets are spot welded onto the car.

If you've got a spare car, then cut them out of the floor, grind the floor metal off, bolt them onto the tailshaft so you can position them in the trans tunnel correctly, then weld them back on.

Don't forget to remove the front seats & centre console, and lift the carpet, otherwise you'll catch it on fire...

No I just did a 92 loyal 4 door sedan 5 speed front wheel drive car Just converted it over to dual range 4WD and I had to drill out the holes as my picture shows so I can hang the rear diff as for the carrier bearing yes I cut the ones of the parts car installed the rear end and the transmission obviously first bolted the tabs to the carrier bearing lifted the drive line up and held it with a jack stand and tack weld in the tabs into place and then finished it off with the complete weld all the way around

• Like 1