Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can an ea82 not leak oil?

I have replace just about every gasket on my motor aside from the rear main. it is still leaking.

the rear main is leaking and i will be fixing that soon with a new clutch. the oil pump is leaking and the pan is leaking.. It is leaking alot. around a qt a week.

so I want to know what tricks there are to fix this, I plan on pulling my engine for the third time to reseal. again...

I know I did all previous repairs correctly but ill be damned if the oil pump wont stop leaking. I have resealed it 3 times. once with the new micky and o ring, again with a new micky o ring and shaft seal and once with new micky oring and anaerobic sealer. still freakin leakin.

oil pan i did once with just rtv, and then again with the cork gasket and rtv. I did not over tighten and i used lock tight on all bolts.

the cam seals and valve covers seem to be holding up.

I rebuild an EA82 last year and it has yet to leak so it can be done. Try a new oil pump or a different low mileage used one. I would probably not choose RTV for an oil pan. I would try Ultra Gray, "The Right Stuff", Ford OEM Oil Pan sealer, Toyota Black, etc. With the correct gaskets, o-rings, seals and sealers,  they can be totally tight. At least for 50 - 60k or so... ;)

Edited by Crazyeights