Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 obw hatch not unlocking

try locking, then unlocking, with trying to open the hatch between locking changes. My guess is that the latch mechanism in the hatch needs lubricating. Recommend you squirt white lithium grease from a spray can into the mechanism to free up its action. I have done just that on my OBW. Works great. If doesn't work, then the latch mechanism is prolly to rusted, and needs to be replaced. I had another OBW, that I had to do that on.

Ok , update, seems subi must expect the electric lock to fail... they put a manual over ride switch right on the electric switch. Under the little 3x2 plastic cap  on the right side, is a white plastic lever , moving this lever puts the door in a permanent unlock position. Then you can open the hatch to replace the electric unit inside. Flipping that switch back while the hatch is open will alow the hatch to lock but to unlock it you must crawl into the back and flip switch to manual again . I should mention that subaru, in their image of a wonderful electric world , completely removed  the key switch !!! Going online now to price out that electric switch. 

Rooster2, both my 00 & 01 as well as my 94 have needed lube inside. That one pivot bracket seems to rust up quickly.  This new one (ha ha  its 2015 now) well this 08 one still has a standard latch on the back even though they removed the key switch. But the mechanism is flawless, seems the actuator decided today was the day to go.So darn good thing they put that lever inside or it would be a bugger to access .  My buddys 2013 only has an electric soft touch button ! no mechanical latch at all ! Hope i'm not around when that one quits working.  Oh new switch just over $50 online.

Edited by montana tom

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ,swapped out the latch /actuator assembly today. Took about an hour . hardest part is finding the two screws where the inner pull handle is and all the plastic push pins and clips that hold the cover on the tailgate. You must also remove the two side plastic window  trim pieces (pops off)  to find the last two push pins holding the cover on . After that its straight forward.    The white plastic lever on the right side of the latch must be flipped to unlock the rear latch.

post-56986-0-07571300-1424375414_thumb.jpg

post-56986-0-34362300-1424375423_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update, the brand new part from subaru parts online has failed ! Worked perfect from 2-19 till late last week then quit again.  After contacting them they sent a new replacement  part , also nib subi part. I installed it today ... worked twice ... then same thing !  This happens with the remote control or the door panel.  All other lock / unlock door functions work fine ??? Good thing they have that manual switch for the rear latch!  Has anybody else had this happen ?  Could I have gotten two defective latch assemblies ? The first was dated 1-2015 , todays was dated 11-2014 , did subi have a bad run of assemblies ?