Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine turns over but wont start

Im so thankful for this forum!

I have a 90 legacy wagon 2.2l with over 230,000 miles. Car has run like a camp and then all of a sudden engine turns over but wont start. I have made sure spark plugs are getting a spark, there is plenty of fuel in the tank and fuel pump is pumping. Im still a novice when it comes to DIY car projects. Does anyone have a thought on what to look for or check next?

Thanks

Could be electrical... but look at the timing belt first.  A sudden no start on the 2.2 with fast cranking is usually a timing belt.  That engine is a non interference motor so not a problem if the belt has broken/slipped. Pull the end timing cover off (3, 10mm bolts) and check belt for condition and tightness...  you won't have any doubt if the belt is broken . 

I will check the timing belt. I just changed it 6 months ago but maybe it slipped. Also, when I checked to make sure the fuel pump was working I pulled the fuel line on the engine side of the fuel filter and it was gushing out. So i just assumed it wasnt the fuel filter either.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know if there is anything with the timing belt

I will check the timing belt. I just changed it 6 months ago but maybe it slipped. Also, when I checked to make sure the fuel pump was working I pulled the fuel line on the engine side of the fuel filter and it was gushing out. So i just assumed it wasnt the fuel filter either.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know if there is anything with the timing belt

did you also change the idler pulleys and other related items at that time?

I had my 1990 jump time while driving due to a weak/worn out tensioner... just a thought...

Timing belt is looking good and tight. I checked that the camshafts and crankshaft all line up with timing marks and they do. Any other thoughts before I put it all back together?  What about the next thing to look for?

Thanks for your imputs so far

If its definitely getting spark and fuel pump is working the injectors may not be pulsing. Usually need a noid light to check that but you can use an LED test light. A regular test light may not actually light up, but you can try it if that's all you have.

Check for power getting to the injectors as well.

I assume you've checked all the fuses?