Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 OB Power steering fluid leak

Noticed noise the other day. Coldest this year around 10°. Whining that at first I thought was the alternator failing BUT noise changed when I turned the wheel to either side.

Noticed power steering fluid a little low and topped it off.

Same sound today and noticed ps fluid at the base of the reservoir (I don't think I spilled any when topping up) and the power steering pump and surround is noticeably wet. Noise seems to go away as the car warms up.

What usually fails on these units?

Is the pump serviceable?

All and any suggestions accepted.

O-rings.

The one on the return side hardens and starts pulling air, hence the noise.

It sounds like you may have a substantial leak if the fluid level dropped in just a day. My GFs 06 Foz is leaking from the pump and takes about a month for the level to drop from full to the middle line on the reservoir. When its warm it doesn't leak much, when it gets cold it leaks a few drips until the engine warms up.

Last I checked Subaru sells a whole rebuild kit minus the front bearing. The bearing you can get from Subaru for like $12 or get from Napa for about $5. Takes 30 minutes to an hour to rebuild with basic tools and a vice. Use a block of wood if you don't have a brass drift to drive the pump shaft out of the old bearing. A pair of snap ring pliers helps as well.

Edited by Fairtax4me

"and noticed ps fluid at the base of the reservoir" meant that it was along the external rim of the reservoir not that the level had dropped that much.

The pump area is pretty wet all over so I can't see where the leak starts. Found a couple of tips like the return hose gets brittle and doesn't seal when cold and this one http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/108746-leaking-power-steering-pump.html that speaks of the o-ring where the return hose attaches at the top. As Fairtax noted on GF's car, mine began when we started hitting near record lows for CT around 0°. How do they manage in Alaska?!

As the car warms up, the noise goes away.

Edited by brus brother