Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting issues 97 impreza outback

My starter died completely after a slow demise of intermittent functionality. Got new starter and replaced it. When I turn the key it clicks and all power goes out, dash lights and all; until I disconnect and reconnect the battery. Then the same thing happens again and again- starter clicks, power completely dies- disconnect- reconnect- repeat. Has anyone encountered this?

I've read through many forums and believe that adding a relay may be the solution to my issue, has anyone had a similar problem and it suggestions?

My multimeter graciously stopped working so I can't check any leads until I make it to the store. All connections seem to be clean and rust/corrosion free.

Hard to say for sure but it sounds  like your new starter is N/G ! your old starter most likely could have been easily repaired but ...  I suspect that you had to turn it in for a core...  I have heard of adding a relay but have never had to.  Take out that new one and using jumper cables and a screw driver  test it on the bench . Pos cable + battery to pos starter connection , neg cable -bat to housing of starter( at bolt holes) use screw driver to jump from solenoid to + battery terminal . A good starter should  turn over as soon as you make contact... if not ...  big spark.... its bad ,take it back and get another.  

subaru starter issue is rare. likely the starter was never the issue to begin with.

probably the battery posts, terminals, or cables.

clean the posts then terminals and make sure they're tight.

running a jumper cable with the positive clamp clamped right to the starter will prove it....but you have to get a good clamp and have good cables - they're drawing so many amps that a poor/dirty/weak clamp onto the starter won't help.   he mentions it above - and like he said if your battery is good - you can run a jumper cable from the positive battery post to the starter positive terminal.

the cables can have corrosion running all up inside the insulation and look fine externally.

Your connections are no good.

Double check the ground where it bolts to the block. Pretty sure the bracket for the ground is held by the upper starter bolt. Be sure the bracket is clean. Also If the starter is a rebuild they will probably have painted the housing with silver paint. Grind or sand the paint off by the bracket so the starter has a good ground.

Most likely your problem is at the battery though. Either corrosion inside the terminals or on the posts.

Edited by Fairtax4me