Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaced VC gasket/spark plugs & wires, NOW WONT START!

First timer here.  So I just finished replacing the valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube rings, spark plugs, and spark plug wires on my 2007 2.5i SOHC Outback.  I get everything back together, including all of the circuit connections (triple checked), and it just cranks; no combustion.  There is an intermittent hesitation while cranking.  It sounds good for a few seconds, then slurs for a crank or two while the lights dim, then will crank normal again.

I have very little mechanical experience (but not afraid to research and give it a try) so I probably overlooked something or did something stupid... hoping y'all can help me figure out what it was.

I heard an odd buzzing when I first turned the key after the 'repair' so I'm wondering if I have a short somewhere?

Before I started the repair, I pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine a few times to relieve some pressure in the fuel lines so i could move the fuel injector/rail assembly to access the valve covers.  When I was doing this to the drive's side, I took the injectors off the rail and about 1/2oz of gas came out and spilled on the unconnected camshaft position sensor, the two other connectors right there, and inside the valve cover.  I wiped it all up with a rag the best I could from the connectors and figured anything that got inside would drain out while the cover was off.  Maybe the gas on these connectors or on the valves is causing a problem?

The LH valve cover was a PITA to get out and reinstall with the new gasket.  I was as gentle as I could be but there was some contact with the bottom right bolt hole of the cover and the bottom rear component (exhaust valve rocker assembly?).  Maybe I was more rough that I thought and damaged/readjusted a valve or something? 

Lastly, the spark plug tubes were filled with oil.  I soaked up as much oil as I could with rags before pulling and replacing the old plugs.  Maybe some remaining oil ran inside when I pulled the old plugs and now its not allowing the new ones to spark?

Any help, questions, or criticism is welcome and appreciated.  

-J

You made sure the cam sensor is plugged back in? Its in a tight spot and not exactly easy to see on that engine. I don't think gas would have stayed in the connector for very long because it evaporates fairly quickly. Did you make sure there was no liquid in the connector before plugging it in?

The intake tube is firmly clamped at both ends? MAF sensor plugged in? Intake box is assembled properly and clamped shut?

A little bit of oil in the cylinders will not prevent starting.

You'd have to take a hammer to the valve train to break something in there. A little persuasion to get the valve cover in/out didn't hurt it a bit.

A little gas splashed on the engine internals will not hurt anything.

Thanks for the reply.  I did get the cam sensor plugged back in.  I'm guessing I didn't get all of the liquid out of the connector beforehand.  Thinking back to that 'buzzing' sound I heard; it sounded more like a relay opening & closing on rapid fire for about 12 rounds...  Is there anyway I could have toasted the fuel pump relay?  

Intake tube & box assembly are assembled & clamped.  MAF is plugged in.

I'll research test procedure on the cam sensor and give that a try tonight.

A fast clicking could be from the electronic throttle body, but those typically only click once or twice as the throttle valve opens and closes for testing.

There are other things under the hood that click such as the ABS control unit.

Typically that's nothing to worry about.

I remember my GFs 06 Forester being hard to start after doing the valve cover gaskets. Double check any connections, then try starting again but this time hold the gas pedal about halfway down while cranking. That will get it started if the cylinders are flooded with fuel.

grossgary- Thanks; I had the plug cables into the wrong cylinders.  I changed those and had to crank it a few more rounds but it finally fired!  HOWEVER, I still had a bad oil leak which is why I replaced the VC gasket in the first place.  So, like most anyone else, I assume bad head gasket; UNTIL I notice major pooling of oil around the same sensors I thought I might have shorted out!  It was oil in the oil pressure switch that I saw, not the gas I thought I spilled in it.  I had a friend rev the engine and oil was seeping heavily from this switch.  $20 part vs the $2000 head gasket replacement quote I was given. HA!

Thanks fairtax4me & grossgary for the suggestions; definitely helped out.

• Like 1

grossgary- Thanks; I had the plug cables into the wrong cylinders.  I changed those and had to crank it a few more rounds but it finally fired!  HOWEVER, I still had a bad oil leak which is why I replaced the VC gasket in the first place.  So, like most anyone else, I assume bad head gasket; UNTIL I notice major pooling of oil around the same sensors I thought I might have shorted out!  It was oil in the oil pressure switch that I saw, not the gas I thought I spilled in it.  I had a friend rev the engine and oil was seeping heavily from this switch.  $20 part vs the $2000 head gasket replacement quote I was given. HA!

Yup, Subaru HG problems seem to have gained such notoriety that a flat tire will elicit a sales pitch for new head gaskets.