Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New to me 83' brat gl

Finally bought my dream car. Baby blue Brat GL. 1983, same as me! 240k on the car, supposedly 120k on a rebuilt or replace engine (can't confirm). Pretty clean for its age/mileage. Interior looks great, body is straight with only small little dings here and there. Traded it for a mountain bike and 1k on my local craigslist. But.... its got a few issues I need to take care of before I can fully rely on it and I was hoping for some input from ya'll. I'm no car mechanic, but I've worked on motorcycles for years, I have a small home machine shop and I'd consider myself mechanically inclined...

1. The front right CV axle feels pretty bad and the front left brake rotor shutters pretty bad when you brake hard. While I'm down there, would I be wise to just do both the CV's and both the rotors?

2. It seems more difficult than it should to get it into 1st gear. The clutch pedal has a lot of free play, maybe it'll be solved with a clutch adjustment. Do these things have mechanical or hydraulic clutches? Anyone have a link to an online manual?

3. Car idle is a bit troublesome and tends to die when you let your foot off the gas at a stop sign/light. Not sure where I should start with this, maybe time for a carb. rebuild? Anything more simple I should try first?

tumblr_nkyddqhV6l1to22c8o1_540.jpg

Sounds like idle adjustment on your carb and clutch cable adjustment will solve those two pretty easy. On the axle I have replaced a dozen on my Brat. Owned it well over 17 years now. Reman axles are hit and miss with way more misses on the last few I bought. I would try sourcing new axles or the one highly rated rebuilder that is a member here. A search will find his info. I bought new EMPI axles a couple of years ago and they have been the best by far. Only problem is they have been bought out so I cannot comment on the new owners. Looks like a very nice Brat. Good luck!!!

Clutch is not hydraulic.

Edited by bratman2

Sweet find for 1k, + a bike if I read your post right. +1 on having fun with your new ride. For the CV axel, I got my last one from Car Quest World Pac brand, so far so good, knock on wood. If by chance you still have the original Subaru axel in, SAVE IT and rebuild it, there's nn

numerous posts saying they are the best to have and use. Good luck and happy driving!