Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am trying to track down a dull rattling sound in the right rear of my 05 OB.

It is not speed related. The exhaust is not touching the body.

I can create the sound by rocking the car by grabbing the roof rails and also by pushing on the rear bumper.

I know the sway bar link on that side has a lot of play in it but can't recreate the sound by wiggling the links.

Can these links make sounds when badly worn or is there just a decrease in stability?

The shocks seem to be behaving properly but that would be my second guess.

How can I access the shock tower to feel if the rattle is coming from the shock?

There's still too much snow here for me to get a good look.

Not sure about your shock/strut mount questions but swaybar endlinks are pretty notorious for clunking and knocking sounds in these cars. The fronts usually go first/more often but any of them could potentially make annoying noises like that.

good luck and I'm sure others will chime in with more info.

Sway bar links often make a light clunking sound. You'll almost never be able to grab the links and reproduce the sound by hand. If there is perceptible play when its on the car, that things gonna be clunking like crazy driving down the road.

Usually you can grab them with a pair of channel locks and squeeze them and look for play similar to checking a tie rod end or ball joint, sometimes they will click a bit of you squeeze them quickly.

Most of the time you have to remove the link so you can move the studs by hand and check for looseness.

Things dried out enough to see that the right rear shock is leaking/shot.

Any suggestions other than Subaru brand?

Not looking for any super performance upgrade just function.

Autozone and Pep Boys have specials on KYB (they must be good... they have 3 initials in the name?)

Edited by brus brother

I think rockauto still has better prices. RA has also started selling KYB strut kits with the strut, upper mount, and new bellows and bump stop included. You save about 10% buying the kit, and shipping is reduced because the all of the parts in the kit typically come from the same warehouse.

Just have to swap over your springs, or put new springs on.