Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Gl-10 not starting

Hi,

Ive had an 86 Gl-10 turbo for about 4 months.  I've had an issue with the car not starting just about every month.  The first time i replaced the spark plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor didnt start so i had it towed to a mechanic. Of course it started right up for them.  I drove it around for a month thinking it was fixed and it happened again.  This time i took the fuel injectors off and sprayed them all out with carb cleaner and it fired right up.  Drove it for another month and it happened again brought it to a subaru machanic and it started right up for them.  Each time this has happened it has almost started but just kind of putters out.  The car turns over, fuel pump is coming on and all electrically seems to be working.  I thought that there could be a bunch of rust and build up in the fuel tank and the might cause the fuel injectors to clog.  But wouldnt the fuel filter block that?  i dont know, please let me know what you guys think.  Thank you very much

The hot wire to the alternator, tends to get hot, brittle and it breaks near the alternator.  You cut out that brittle section and add a pigtail that you can change out every 10,000 miles.   Also, the points in the distributor build up corrosion and need to be cleaned every few thousand miles.  The capacitor that runs a wire to the coil, can go bad and the engine won't start.  The radio usually gets a lot of static, just before the capacitor goes out.  The black wire in the fusible links box, gets brittle and loses conductivity.  The alternator loses it's punch and cannot run all of the accessories at the same time without causing the engine to run badly.  This is also symptomatic of a bad alternator wire.

See my answer to the EA81T miss and stumble thread for some points to look at, Scoobiedubie EFI models like the Turbo's should not have points but they can have issues with Earthing for the Module etc as posted in the other Discussion.

So i replaced the cts didnt work. I like the description of the stumble. If the car sits for a couple days it starts but if i turn it off right away. I tried it again and it stumbles and then wont start. What would clog the fuel injectors?

Rust from the gas tank, or any debris that finds it's ways into your fuel lines. Maybe even a piece of a fuel filter (it's happened to me!)