Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can i build a frankenmotor with a dohc ej25?

Which frankenmotor do you want to build? 

Many different combinations of heads and block can be put together and made to work. It all depends on if you want to do N/A or Forced induction, and what car you want to put it in. 

I think for now I'd just be doing N/A, as I don't really know where to get the tuning done, and it's my only dd so I don't think I'd have the time to do FI, but I'd prefer it. But in realistic terms, it'd be NA and going into my 99 legacy gt. Changing from dohc to sohc and the belts for that is confusing to me. New to engine internals with subarus. To be honest I don't how at what part of the head the head gasket is

No offense, but if you don't know what/and where a hg is, you should not be attempting this.

Insofar as DOHC heads on an EJ22, which would be boost friendly, go to legacygt.com and look up posts by DOHCEJ22e and you'll find complete info on this particular hybrid.

Do search on frankenmotor for the other way around.

O.

No offense, but if you don't know what/and where a hg is, you should not be attempting this.

Insofar as DOHC heads on an EJ22, which would be boost friendly, go to legacygt.com and look up posts by DOHCEJ22e and you'll find complete info on this particular hybrid.

Do search on frankenmotor for the other way around.

O.

That's only because I've had no reason to pull them 181k and no HG issue on a ej225D (the gods blessed me). I was confused between the actual place and the valve cover gasket.  I know I can do it I've been working on engines my entire life, maytag one cylinders to huge cast iron tractor engines to my miata (full rebuild). 

The common Frankenmotor is the 25D bottom end with 22E top end. High compression and nice torque. DOES require premium fuel though, IIRC.

Would also have the bores checked and rods/mains journals checked while you're at it. 183K is usually nothing for cylinder wear, but the 25D bores can become out of round fairly easily (from the HM ones I've redone). OR if you're not going to split the halves, have a back-up motor on standby. Higher stress means higher chances of problems on these.

Edited by 86 Wonder Wedge