Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have experienced a mind boggling issue with my 1994 Subaru SVX (135,000 miles if that helps anyone) 

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a loss of RPMs while driving but it shot back up (felt like the car might stall) but didn't, kept going.. no more problem. Thought nothing of it.

Noticed the same thing a couple more times, still very random, and seldom. 

Then... This same thing happened and my car did stall out.... But turned right back over, kept going like nothing happened. No more loss of RPMs on the ride home.

Then over the next couple days, it happened a little more frequently and on one drive it stalled out a total of about 5 times in 10 minutes, and then kept driving like normal.

Then a few days later, it stalled out and never started back up.

I get Fuel, Spark, and Compression ( haven't compression tested, but the issue doesn't seem like a compression thing )
If i let it sit for a day without trying to start, and then try it and give it some gas while trying it sounds like its getting a combustion, just not anywhere near enough to start, and thats only for a few seconds of effort.

I have tested fuel pressure with a gauge (getting about 58psi) constant flow.

I have changed fuel filter.

I have tested front passenger side spark plug for spark (blue in color)

So now... I'm lost. 

Cam sensor?

Crank sensor (wouldn't get spark?) 

Fuel Pump Relay?

ANYTHING?! ahaha, i'm lost and about to sell the car as is, or piece it out.

It's been a while, but I can recall 2-3 threads of intermittent crank sensor failures on older soobs. But, it seems like they were temp related. cheap part to try.

also, is there any correlation with rain? maybe your wires or coil are arcing?

I was thinking crank or cam sensors? But wouldn't a bad crank sensor stop the car from making spark? I'm not having an issue with spark.

But I was thinking it could be a cam sensor? I need to check and see if my spark plugs smell like gasoline after trying to start. Not sure if fuel pressure stops at the rails. But a complete fuel injector failure (as sudden as mine) on the car could only be caused by cam sensor. 

and as to wires and coil arcing... I am completely unfamiliar with any knowledge about that kind of thing XD 

Edited by Suba_Who

well, old sparkplug cables can become brittle/compromised in such a way that, most particularly in 'moist' weather conditions, they cause misfires. Seems unlikely to cause an actual stall, but, misting the idling car's engine with a plant sprayer, at night, will sometimes cause rough running and you will see arcs from the high voltage bypassing thru the insulation.

so, any correlation with your symptoms and wet weather? Is the problem MORE or LESS likely as the car warms up/dries out?

a poor/intermittent ground connection or harness could cause your problem. You could try gently pulling/pushing on cables while the car is idling.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Fuel pressure was a bit high compared to the all data information!

As for wet weather being the cause of anything... Couldn't see it being the case. But as for testing anything while the car is idle... I can't even get the car to start, even with starter fluid into the intake

if you pull a coupla plugs, are they wet with fuel?  If so, You might try starting with the pedal on the floor while cranking. On fuel injected cars, that makes the ECU hold back fuel - it's the 'clear flood' signal.

could the timing belt have slipped?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan