Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gonna start looking for a 5speed dual range

What tell tale signs do i need to look for as i am searching the web and junk yards for a 5 speed dual range. i see a couple on the internet and see where there is wiring to a solinoid where the dual range selector is but the ad does not state 4spd or 5spd. i want to avoid getting a 4spd. my question is if the 4spd was available with an electronic range selector. doed anyone have pics of the 5spd dual? thanks.

If there is a clear pic of the tranny especially from the side there should be no issues telling the 4 speed from the 5. Check out this thread, tom has a post with a pic that may be of use too you. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/141404-rays-brat/

I would avoid buying this over the net unless its from a member who can tell you how it ran, you wanna know for sure what car it came out of too (things like spline counts and ratios are of concern). Plus your going to want other items to go with the trans which means the jyard. I do totally understanf how hard these things are getting to find especially in Vegas. I honestly thought when I moved there would only be 3 brats left in clark county! I never did the swap because I could never find a tranny with low enough miles that I was willing to pay for.

so it seems the 4sp and 5spd d/r look alike except for the extra gear. i could not see the other side.

so the push button was not dual range? i think the one i saw on the internet had some sort of electronic solinoid where the D/R selector was positioned on the older 4speed D/R

Heres a handy pic thats on my phone of a 4 speed s/r i recently yanked. Its looks very long and slender compared to the 5 speed. Thats a 3at next to it sorry its what i have. Obviously the push button will be a single range with a non mechanical linkage.

post-16651-0-15010700-1428182847_thumb.jpg

post-16651-0-96328900-1428183217_thumb.jpg

Edited by ihscout54

nice..i have a single range 4spd skeleton in the garage.found it from a guy on craigslist who said he saw it sitting in the scrap yard and snatched it up. it had the same dimensions as the dual range and looks identical except fore the d/r assembly and linkage but geared lower. i actually transplanted the gear assembly from thne single range into my dual range and it now  has a slightly lower gear ratio which is great for compensating for the 26'' grabbers.

only problem is no 5th gear. we need a pic of the dr and single range 5spd together. hope someone has one here

I thought the link i posted above has pictures of them in it a few posts down. Via tomrhere

The 5 speed has a lower 5th than the the later 4 speeds 4th. So if one is looking for better highway cruiser this wont be the answer (depending on the trans). Better break up of the ratios, maybe availability. and reliability of them is the reasoning behind the swap.

The dual range trans will all have a rod running outside alongside the casing on what you call the passenger side.

If it doesn't have this, it's not a dual range.

If it also has a vacuum solenoid, then it'll be an "RX" type trans with full-time 4wd and centre diff lock. But these will generally have the shorter low range.

Really going to have to start looking at the shipping costs to supply these from Aus :P EA82 engined cars are getting a bit thin on the ground, but nearly all of ours had dual range 5 spds.

Plus all our Liberty (Legacy) AWD wagons were dual range until at least late 90s

I think the major difference is the snow in your country, and the lack of it in mine.

Most of our Subarus were sold in country areas, where our roads are not made as well of yours (we are lucky to asphalt anywhere more than 2 hours from the coastline), so the need for low range on dirt is more necessary.

You just need traction in snow.

Don't forget the differences in Axle splines between the different 5 speeds EA 82 engined cars with MPFI and RX turbo's are 25 spline outputs from the front diff, Carburettor EA82's are 23 spline outputs from the front diff make sure you get the one that matches your front driveshafts or be prepared to change parts.

thats what i was thinking....right now i have the ea81 axles with the deep cups i switched from another trans. i extended one about 3/4 inch by chopping off the tapered end of a donor cup and welding it to the end of another cup..i simply placed it on the a removed diff. then used the seal cover groove as a valley to fill with weld..holding up very strong so far. i have no choice but to find my 5m,t d/r online as we have no source of soob trannys out here. i will have to open the case and inspect it before i install to check for wear. nothing i havn't done before.

Axle splines can be fixed by changing front CVs. You might be better off doing that considering how rare the dual range boxes are in the US

They're not rare they're just hard to find in the states where they salt the roads and all the cars are gone. The ford ranger is almost none existent back in those states and they made millions of them. There is three d/r's in the pick n pull off foster in Portland OR. I see them all the time where i live most of the time in lifted rigs. The only trans here that's rare is the ej d/r and the rx awd d/r.

• 4 weeks later...

SHES FINALLY HERE!! got it this morning. looking at the differences so far it seems like i need to lengthen the drive shaft and find a 24 spline clutch kit. the old shift assembly from the 79 wagon seems like it will work with a few cuts and welds to modify it. donor was an 85 wagon 5speed dual range.