Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Forester Transmission Compatibility

I'm looking at a Forester with a bad tranny. I might buy it and swap in a new transmission, but I'm not sure what models and years interchange directly. The car is an automatic 1998 Forester.

I know some have 8 bolts and some have 4, right? And some starters have one bolt and some have 2?

There is probably already a thread discussing this, but I can't find one. Help!

Give one of the jap engine places a call, they sell trannys also. I just got & installed one for a 99 forester. my cost before shipping was $535. one year guarantee!  Although they won't pay labor on that . The tranny they sold me was originally from a 2.0, they included a new flex plate to  match, and a can of pressurized flush to clean the lines and cooler . It installed perfectly and worked great. The engine import places are very good at what fits what and are more than happy to explain it, (in the hope you buy from them) I,ve installed dozens of motors , multible 5 speeds  and a few auto trannys all jap import and have only had one engine blow and they replaced it with no problems. 

HI,

'98 should still be a Phase 1 trans w/the 4 bolts. I don't think anything newer will work due to electronic differences (although it'll still bolt up), however any Subaru w/the EJ25D trans from '96-'98 should work and have the same 4.44 FD ratio: Legacy OB, GT, LSi, and Impreza RS.

Google found THIS and THIS.

GL,

TD