Ultimate Subaru Message Board

l series wagon differences

were the l series/gl wagons the same in australia to america and other countries. they always refer to them as "sportswagons" in australia not loyales or leones

just interested

Essentially the same thing, although US cars are left hand drive while ours are right hand drive. I've just noticed a few differences, in the heater core to start. But for the most part they are very similar vehicles.

Also you probably don't need to put your full address on your info - just NSW would work. Never know who's looking...

Sportswagon is the later (1991- ) povo pack. This is 3 years of the 9 year model life, hence so many, plus newer, so still around & not rusted away.

Before the Liberty was released there were more versions (85-90). GLs, RX Turbos (sedan only), Touring wagon (GL spec), Leone (FWD sedan, DL & GL), Leone Royale (late 80s GL sedan).

Still not as many specs as other places, but the bodyshells are identical.

No worries.

The differences come with LHD & RHD, where the firewalls are different (holes are in different spots, bracket for steering column & heater box are opposite sides). Every other difference is in a bolt on part (wiring, dashboard, engine crossmember & steering rack, etc).

No worries.

The differences come with LHD & RHD, where the firewalls are different (holes are in different spots, bracket for steering column & heater box are opposite sides). Every other difference is in a bolt on part (wiring, dashboard, engine crossmember & steering rack, etc).

This image might help you visualise what wagonist is talking about - this is my EA82 wagon, taken a couple days ago.

PzMvlLf.jpg?1

details, details, .... :P

They were sold here from 85 to 94 (but I do recalled seeing some late 84 built plates on early 85s), but I doubt that any were made in the last year. They just would've been getting rid of old stock (probably discounted) in preparation for the Impreza.

Here is a wagon I saw today with a bad front wheel that was stolen and dumped or someone had been doing doughnuts and busted the rim it was on my school oval sorry the picture is kinda bad I didn't want to get too close ( saw police inspecting an hour later) although in the afternoon saw primary school kids playing in it- was unlocked

A

I think you will find there were a few differences around the markets of the world on these L Series as we call them in Australia. On here we need to call 'em EA82s and EA81's for what we also call the MY model before the L Series

Very tiny pic of what looks like a street light, a paddock and an injured L Series wagon ?

Must admit am more curious about your username - got one ? run one ? Would not be too hard to find in Yass :) You likely know an enthusiast in the region with a UK sourced rally going RX sedan ?

I think Oz got mpfi EA82 engines NA where US did not, but US got more wider variety of models wagons, hatchbacks etc with EA82T which is mpfi. We really only got turbo in RX sedans, GLTA sedans and Vortex.

US got throttle body injection on EA82 NA, refered to as spfi - single point

everyone got 1800cc in our two markets, other markets had EA71 1600cc and even 1300cc L Series ! I think

The UK got some different option offerings again, and out there were what digital dash, cruise control trip computers , AWD instead of 4WD selectable

The spare parts manuals list something like 18 different ECU for EA82 models around the world over the years !!

okay i admit it i dont have an old subaru (i am underage) but i thankfullly live on acreage and have a formed track i drive up and down every now and then but i have a 1990 nissan pulsar hatch that runs well and use it on the farm but i prefer old subarus in every way but i sometimes drive my dads forester around the farm. i also have a bit of mechanical knowledge, i have an off-rod go kart in progress. but the pulsar is useless when wet with fwd we']ve winched it out a couple of times with

... a Subaru! and yeah there arwe a good number of old soobs around yass but no 1st gens- rustbuckets, but i am always willing to do a swap with a brumby or wagon of any condition around canberra region... then i would have something usefull to tallk about on this forum!!!

here is my utube channel it has videos of the nissan i have a sports exhaust system that i havent installed yet but will sound whole heap better.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC88xt-8dsTfkEqjEG9nv7xw

I think you will find there were a few differences around the markets of the world on these L Series as we call them in Australia. On here we need to call 'em EA82s and EA81's for what we also call the MY model before the L Series

Very tiny pic of what looks like a street light, a paddock and an injured L Series wagon ?

Must admit am more curious about your username - got one ? run one ? Would not be too hard to find in Yass :) You likely know an enthusiast in the region with a UK sourced rally going RX sedan ?

I think Oz got mpfi EA82 engines NA where US did not, but US got more wider variety of models wagons, hatchbacks etc with EA82T which is mpfi. We really only got turbo in RX sedans, GLTA sedans and Vortex.

US got throttle body injection on EA82 NA, refered to as spfi - single point

everyone got 1800cc in our two markets, other markets had EA71 1600cc and even 1300cc L Series ! I think

The UK got some different option offerings again, and out there were what digital dash, cruise control trip computers , AWD instead of 4WD selectable

The spare parts manuals list something like 18 different ECU for EA82 models around the world over the years !!

gosh 1.3 would be slow

Yes, the 1.3L EA65 engine was popular here, in LADM (Latin American Domestic Market), on the Second Gen Leone and the Third Gen Leone / Loyale Sedans. It came mated to a manual trans whose relations made it to feel like it was somehow "Enough" for the Car... However, it never came on Wagons, the smaller displacement on Wagons were 1.6L EA71 engines; the 1.8L were Optional on both generations' lineups.

Kind Regards.

Yes, the 1.3L EA65 engine was popular here, in LADM (Latin American Domestic Market), on the Second Gen Leone and the Third Gen Leone / Loyale Sedans. It came mated to a manual trans whose relations made it to feel like it was somehow "Enough" for the Car... However, it never came on Wagons, the smaller displacement on Wagons were 1.6L EA71 engines; the 1.8L were Optional on both generations' lineups.

Kind Regards.

apparently the ea62 twincarb was 92 hp 100 nm (wikipedia) would have been better than 65 hp 115 nm ea65