Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 OBW has power brakes, but the "power" seems gone. Pushing on the pedal feels like standard old brakes, on cars that I have owned long ago. The brakes work just fine, just have to really press down on the pedal to stop.

I am thinking the power brake booster has gone bad. I don't detect any vacuum leaks anywhere.

Anyone ever have the same problem, and if so, how did you fix it??

There's a check valve built into the vacuum hose that goes to the booster that fails. Usually it freezes in the winter if moisture gets in the hose. Pull the hose off the booster with the engine running and see if you have vacuum there, if not, check at the port on the manifold. If you have vacuum at the manifold end but not at the booster end replace the hose. Last I checked that was a dealer only part for new. If there's a u-pull junkyard nearby, used is fine.

• Like 1

There's a check valve built into the vacuum hose that goes to the booster that fails. Usually it freezes in the winter if moisture gets in the hose. Pull the hose off the booster with the engine running and see if you have vacuum there, if not, check at the port on the manifold. If you have vacuum at the manifold end but not at the booster end replace the hose. Last I checked that was a dealer only part for new. If there's a u-pull junkyard nearby, used is fine.

Thanks Fairtax4me, I will follow your advise and check out the hose. Regards..............Larry (Rooster2)

• 5 months later...

Took me a while to get around to working on this. I checked the vacuum hose for vacuum, and it seemed just fine. I replaced it anyway, but found no imprvement. Brakes conntinue to work just fine, but just don't feel like power brakes. It still takes some extra effort brake pedal effort to stop the car.

I replaced the brake booster, but that has not fixed the problem.

The problem is on my 98 OBW. I also have a 99 OBW, so I can easily tell that the power brake function is not working well on the 98.

Any suggestions..............Thanx

did the car have normal feeling brakes in the past? any work done or wrecks before the problem began?

inspect all the brake calipers and caliper brackets. are all the brake pads wearing evenly? any wedge-shaped?

brake lines bled of air?

any damage or major rust around the firewall where the MC is mounted?

after idling the car, pull the hose off the booster, there should be a woosh of air go into it. If not, it could have a leak?

(I don't guess it's possible the booster hose is on backwards? maybe test by blowing into it - should block blowing from the engine side)

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I would guess the booster has failed.

In your other car, start the engine, release the brake, then turn the engine off.

Press the brake pedal 4-5 times and you'll hear it whoosh a few times and the pedal will start to get harder to push.

Do the same test on your 98 and if the pedal gets hard to push sooner, the booster is bad.

I would guess the booster has failed.

In your other car, start the engine, release the brake, then turn the engine off.

Press the brake pedal 4-5 times and you'll hear it whoosh a few times and the pedal will start to get harder to push.

Do the same test on your 98 and if the pedal gets hard to push sooner, the booster is bad.

Good advise, I will give it a try.          Thanx

A history update.........brakes have felt like manual brakes, not power brakes for some years. Last January, I had brake lines replaced at the rear, as they had rusted out. Work was done at a shop that I trust, and felt they did a good job of bleeding the brake system after installing new lines. As stated earlier, the brake booster unit was replaced about a year ago. Still, the brakes felt like manual brakes even with a new brake booster.

The brake pedal feels good and solid, when brakes applied, so I don't get a sense that the master cylinder is the problem. Front pads replaced within the last 10K miles, so I think the pads are okay.

Still a mystery to me. The car's brakes make the car good and driveable, and not a safety issue. Still, it would be easier having power brakes once again.

My thinking was that if the MC has been replaced in the past, someone may have installed the wrong one. There were two different sizes that could be used.

One had a 15/16" bore, the other a 1-1/16" bore.

If I remember right, the Outback should have the smaller bore.

My thinking was that if the MC has been replaced in the past, someone may have installed the wrong one. There were two different sizes that could be used.

One had a 15/16" bore, the other a 1-1/16" bore.

If I remember right, the Outback should have the smaller bore.

hmmmmmm......that is an interesting thought. We bought the car used many years ago. I can't ever remember the brakes acting like power steering brakes. You may be on to something. MCs don't cost much, I may swap it out to see it that is a fix.   Thanx.

hmmmmmm......that is an interesting thought. We bought the car used many years ago. I can't ever remember the brakes acting like power steering brakes. You may be on to something. MCs don't cost much, I may swap it out to see it that is a fix. Thanx.

The size should be stamped somewhere on the side of the MC. Might check for that and see if its the correct size.

If you have the factory service manual for the car, look in the brakes specifications and it should say which size MC should be on it.

the brakes in my 97 Gt wagoin are very different from the brakes in my (now sold) 95 L sedan.

dramatically different.

the 95 stopped quick and easy with less pressure.

the 97 takes much more pressure and takes longer to stop.

not very scientific , i know.

i assume the wagon is heavier, but not 20% heavier,

10 to 15% at most would be my guess.

how much of a difference can pads make?