Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prospective owner seeking advice

Hello everyone,

I'd like to thank you in advance for reading my little novel here, and for any opinions, advice, and input you care to share with me.

I'll give a bit of background about me first. I'm a car guy, though I don't know much about Subarus as I've never owned one (always liked them though). I'm not much of a mechanic, so most anything beyond an oil change gets sent to a professional. I live in Winnipeg, Mb, a wintery climate most of the year, and I'm kind of looking to replace my DD a 2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara.

So, what has lead me to you folks is this:

About a week ago I was driving home with the GF, and passed by the local suburu dealers. In the front of their lot sat a previous generation Suburu Forester XT. I had to stop and check it out. Here's a link to it.

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_23624484?prx=-1&orup=35_10_35

I've got a few questions for the experts here:

First off, what does everyone think about the asking price? $16k seems high for an 08 to me. Especially with over 111k KMs.

Secondly, how much life is left in this car. I'm looking for a dead reliable, very low maintainance DD. My Suzuki is just this. I know I'd be getting into an older vehicle, so some repairs are to be expected, but I don't want to have to spend too much on it, especially with its 16k asking price.

What kind of mileage have you guys got on your Foresters, and how much have you had to invest in repairs?

A related third, what things should I be watching out for on these cars? What are common problem areas? How many KMs do the turbos generally last? Etc.

This car looks pretty clean, but the trailer hitch is rusty. Where should I be looking for rust on these? Any advice on how to spot a repaint?

Fourth, please tell me about the traction control system. Can it be fully deactivated? This is very important to me. My Suzuki"s traction control can not be fully deactivated. Sure it can reduced, but it's never fully off. This drives me nuts, and since its summer here I won't be able to truly test if the Foresters can be fully turned off in a test drive. To elaborate, if I chose to be a total idiot and start doing donuts in the middle of a crowded road in a blizzard, and I press the "traction control off" button, will I be able to do these donuts, or will the cars computer still be able to reign in my fun?

Now obviously I exaggerate here, and I'd never actually do this, but I can't stress enough how much I dislike traction control systems that can't be fully deactivated. I think if I want to do some fish tailing on an empty snowy road I should be able to, I don't need the car telling me I shouldn't. So I really want to know if I can fully disable the traction control in this generation Forester. Ok, no more ranting, I promise.

Lastly, and I know, I'm reaching here, would it be possible to swap out this cars auto for a 5/6 speed manual transmission? Has it ever been done? How much work would be involved? Can you ballpark a dollar amount for having a professional shop do the work? Or I'm I just crazy for thinking about it?

This car would be mine already, by the way, if it was not an automatic.

That's all the questions I have for you now, good people of ultimatesubaru.org. Thanks again for reading and for you input.

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Edited by JDW2231

All Subies are full time all wheel drive. There is no adjustable traction control system. On some Subies, you can insert a fuse in a special fuse holder to have the car be in front wheel drive mode only. This is really designed to be used when having a flat tire. The all wheel drive system need all four tires to be the same size. A space saving spare is a smaller tire.

Not financially practical to swap out an auto for a stick shift. Far better off buying a stick shift model to begin with, if that is what you want. 

Subies are super reliable, and excellent in the snow.

I'm not really up on all the features in an 08 - if it has VDC or similar, there may be a switch to turn it off.

others here will know or you might read-up on features of various models at www.cars101.com

the older a car is, the less important the brand's reputation (Subarus is generally good) and the more important the care the car has been given, and its current condition.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Hi and Welcome to the site,

-I wouldn't buy any turbo model for a 'low maintenance' car. Turbo models are generally more performance-oriented and therefore driven w/that intent, although the Automatic version is less likely than a 5/6-speed to have been abused, IMHO. The turbo models have more expensive timing belt kits, more frequent oil change intervals (3,500 miles),  etc. The turbo 'should' be good for 125,000 miles, but they can fail early. There also oil filter screens that can clog and restrict oil flow. Look up TSB Oil filters on here. 

-111,000KM = 69,000 miles - not a lot on 7 year old model...unless you all don't drive as much in MB?

- What's wrong w/your GV? I've read they're OK SUVs. 

Per the Owner's manual (on USA models @ least) there is a switch for the Traction Control. If you test drive it, you'll see it, too:

& Vehicle Dynamics Control
OFF switch
Pressing the switch to deactivate the
Vehicle Dynamics Control system can
facilitate the following operations:
. a standing start on a steeply sloping
road with a snowy, gravel-covered, or
otherwise slippery surface
. extrication of the vehicle when its
wheels are stuck in mud or deep snow
When the switch is pressed during engine
operation, the “ ” indicator light illuminates.
The Vehicle Dynamics Control
system will be deactivated and the vehicle
will behave like a model not equipped with
the Vehicle Dynamics Control system.
When the switch is pressed again to
reactivate the Vehicle Dynamics Control
system, the indicator light goes off.
With the Vehicle Dynamics Control system
deactivated, traction and stability enhancement
offered by Vehicle Dynamics
Control system is unavailable. Therefore
you should not deactivate the Vehicle