Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thinking about getting an 06 outback froma yard. Barely moves, would appreciate some help diagnosing

Symptoms

Coolant comes out of head at a noticable rate

barely runs, doesn't really move

apparently an exhaust valve or lifter is seized

Was thinking new head gaskets, valves and lifters, possibly do the belts and water pump while I'm at it.

Worst case just grab any old phase 2 and swap it in (using the 06 manifold)

If you can do most of the work yourself I would rebuild it completely, but I wouldn't even mess with head gaskets.

Otherwise I would swap in a used motor.

Looks to be about 400 for the rebuild kit? Seems that a used form like a 99 or 2k would be more economical?

I figure if it turns over then the block must be okay, right?

That does not mean that.  Just because it turns over does not mean it doesn't have crank, rod, or piston problems.  This is why I said a "Full Rebuild" based on your description.  

If you can get a used engine for an '06 for less than $500, then that would be the way to go.  Over here on the west coast they average $600+.

The difference here is a used engine has the potential for problems as well and you don't know the history.  If your planning to keep the car a full rebuild would allow you to know the full history of the engine and the condition of the lower end.

That does not mean that.  Just because it turns over does not mean it doesn't have crank, rod, or piston problems.  This is why I said a "Full Rebuild" based on your description.  

If you can get a used engine for an '06 for less than $500, then that would be the way to go.  Over here on the west coast they average $600+.

The difference here is a used engine has the potential for problems as well and you don't know the history.  If your planning to keep the car a full rebuild would allow you to know the full history of the engine and the condition of the lower end.

Could I use any phase 2 ej25? Or are they on to phase 3 or something where the block won't work

A quick search of car-part.com and the cheapest one is over $1,000.  

If the block itself is OK (no rods through it, etc...) "AND" you can do the work yourself Rockauto has a master rebuild kit for $500, leaving $500 to have the heads done and the block honed/crank turned.

06 has the fancy valve stuffs right - so you need an engine, or those heads, for the valve actuators, etc to play nice or do some research to work around that.

a rebuild is nice - but a lot of work and machine shop expenses to mic things, check things, plastiguage the bearings for oversized or not, and disassembly/assembly.  few people rebuild EJ blocks, but of course it can be done.

06 has the fancy valve stuffs right - so you need an engine, or those heads, for the valve actuators, etc to play nice or do some research to work around that.

a rebuild is nice - but a lot of work and machine shop expenses to mic things, check things, plastiguage the bearings for oversized or not, and disassembly/assembly.  few people rebuild EJ blocks, but of course it can be done.

More people than you think rebuild them.  The problem is they just don't post on these forums.  Most DIY'ers don't rebuild them because a swap is faster and easier.  

I don't know about the engine rebuilder that's on these forums, but they are selling enough rebuilds to stay in business.

The shop local here that advertises them sells 2 or 3 a month and tends to do head work for a subaru at least once a month.  It's actually less than other brands though.