Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Charge and Check Brake Lights Stay on

I am having an issue now that my Charge and Check Brake light are always on at low revs. Below ~1500 RPM they are faintly lit if it drops below 1000 they are full on. Checked the alternator today and even at around 500rpm they battery is still getting 14V at high idle when it starts it bounces in high 14 low 15 so not an alternator issue from what I understand. Kind of weird. Anyone know whats up?

Set your multimeter to AC voltage and check at the battery again, engine running.

Don't recall the number right now, but basically any AC voltage reading above say .3 volts is bad.

Alternator has internal problems.

Usually, when the dash lights start lighting up oddly, it's due to AC voltage from the alternator.

Something with the alternator, my stop lamp, brake, charge, all faintly light up when the diodes in the alternator begin to go out. not sure if my check engine also lit up, i don't think so. anyways i just went to replace it since it has lifetime warranty, so i never experimented with it. one thing is for sure though, the people at Oreilly's said theres nothing wrong with my alternator when they tested it, but i complained enough to get another and i replaced the alternator with another remanufactured one and they all dissapeared. good luck!

Edited by Subasaurus