Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few questions about brakes

Do proportioning valves tend to go out on these cars? Is there a test for those valves?

After removing the caliper I moved the emergeny brake arm on the old caliper and brake fluid squirted out.  Why would the

action of the emergengy brake have ANY effect on the hydraulic system?

Thank you,

abcus

Edited by abcus

Do proportioning valves tend to go out on these cars? Is there a test for those valves? ...

Nope.

In fact not all people are aware that there is a Proportioning Valve in their Third Gen Subaru Leone (EA82) / Loyale; it is hiding under the Body and seems to last forever ... the one on my "BumbleBeast" has thirty years of strong, rude use, since my Wagon is used in Honduran Roads; 60% of the time on paved streets with potholes and among crazy drivers on cities & highways; and 40% offroading on mountainds during weekends.

... After removing the caliper I moved the emergeny brake arm on the old caliper and brake fluid squirted out.  Why would the action of the emergengy brake have ANY effect on the hydraulic system?

This was answered properly by DaveT:

The parking brake / emergency brake lever pushes the piston to press the pads against the rotor.  Thus also the fluid will be moved.

Yes, the Emergency / Parking brake goes to the front on these EA82's and after long time of use, the parts gets worn and fail, especially to seal properly. Those are the reasons why I erased the Front Parking Brake mechanism from the Calipers, and I retrofitted an Awesome Rear Parking Brake, that despite of still be pushing pistons on the Rear Calipers, it is more durable and tends to develop less fails since the rear wheels doesn't do side to side turns, forcing the angle of the actuators; and the parts to fix those rear ones, are way easier to find.

Kind Regards.

Underlined words are web links to posts with further information on the subject.

• Like 1