Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, so I finally get everything back together.  The condenser fan didn't work from day one because the PO had it hot wired to the battery (yeah, no longer that way).  He did this by cutting the pig tail and wiring it right up.

Well, in order to correct this I picked up two fans from a buddy that are supposed to be good.  

I've been having issues with AC at an idle so today I plugged in the test mode connector, and the sub fan didn't come on. 

Since the main fan worked correctly I swapped relays between the two.  The main fain still worked correctly and the condenser fan again didn't come again.

I then replaced the 20A fuse, even though it didn't visibly appear blown, and again it didn't come on.

To note I could feel the relay for the condenser fan clicking when the test mode connector was on.

So I'm down to either a problem in the harness, a ground issue, or a bad fan.

My problem is I can't figure out what ground is for the condenser fan.  The way the FSM reads it sounds like the sub fan has a separate ground compared to the main fan, but damned if I can find it in the FSM.

And no, I haven't put a multimeter on the plug yet nor pulled the fan so I could test it.  I know I need to take those steps as well, but when they said ground I figured that would be a good place to check as well.

Thanks in advance. :)

It turns freely.  I  wired a plug up to a known good working fan (PO had one of them butt connected together and the other one hot wired to the battery) and same issue.

But now I'm trying to locate the main fan relay and supposedly there is a sub fan relay under the dash................

First things first:

Unplug the connector to the fan.

Check if you have 12V at that connector, when the fan is supposed to be on.

(Note: beware of rotating fan blades!)

I was going to do that, but I can't find my damn multimeter. :-/  

Doesn't help I'm having a very long day.  Guess I was raised different than kids today.  "If you aren't 100% sure, don't touch someone elses project.  Even then, best to ask before touching".  At least that is how I was raised.

Edited by lstevens76