Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any suggestions for a smartphone-based OBDII reader?

Hello all,

I really hate the code reader I bought from Autozone. The interface is crap and it's just really junky.

So I've been reading about smartphone-based code readers. I have an iPhone 6. We are a two-Subaru family.

Any suggestions for which app to buy? Any suggestions for which plug-in module to use to send the info to the smartphone?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Regards,

Jeff in Boston

There aren't many options for the iPhone last I checked. I have the Bluedriver app and it works well. Its easy to set up, reads and erases codes easily, can email the codes or post to facebook, etc. Has tons of options for viewing live data.

Very versatile overall, but the proprietary Bluetooth adapter is $99 now.

Edited by Fairtax4me

If they have it for iPhone, get the Torque app and a Bluetooth OBDII scanner. I bought the cheapest one I could on amazon. I try never to buy chinese since I believe our economy is WAY too dependent upon them, but I was broke at the time...

I've been thrilled with this set up so far.

No torque app for iPhone, unfortunately.

There are many more options now than there were a few years ago. Most look to be Chinese made with limited functionality, though if you're just reading codes they should work ok.

One that looked promising required a purchase for each vehicle and separate purchases for higher functions such as ABS /airbag system scanning. Unlimited use available for about $120 by the time you add it all up, not including the cost of the Bluetooth adapter.

One app that was free looked great but the required wifi adapter was $149.

One of the first results was a $9.99 app with a "premium" upgrade for another $14.99. (Which I couldnt figure what's included in that)

It requires an Eml327 adapter which usually are less than $20.

Has anyone bought or tried this one?

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Bluetooth-diagnostics-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434760965&sr=8-3&keywords=obd2+scanner&pebp=1434761267543&perid=0PS4J7HB3V6GNGPS05WV

It gets good reviews, but it's Android only (Torque app). Still, Android devices are cheap enough these days if you only need something basic, so even though I have an iPhone I'd be willing to buy this and an inexpensive Android device if it's worth it.