Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mechanical oil pressure gauge

So I bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge to put in my 90 loyale engine since my dash doesn't have one on my 93 loyale. We did the engine swap recently. Does anyone know if I need to take the whole sender out and put it in there or can I put it somewhere else on the sender. If so what sizing will I need, I don't want to make more trips to the parts shop than needed. It's a far drive.

Edited by jbartle6

mechanical oil pressure gauge usualy refers to a gauge that runs the oil pressure in a capillary tube right up to the gauge in the car or where you mount it

taper thrads come to mind - dunno if Japanese engineering uses th standard 1/8" taper of pipe threads or is it bspt ?

one is 27 threads per inch, another is 28 tpi and sort of works both ways if lucky :(

if you intend to keep idiot light in dash working, you need to retain its sender and tap into same for capillary line to gauge, so you'd need a T piece or see if anyone thinks yu can tap off a different plug hole in pump - think you can run both switch and gauge off the EA82

Also the range of the gauge is important, as the lower end of the range is more critical then the upper end of the range.

If I remember correctly  you will need a special (and easy to get) thread adapter as Subaru is a special little snowflake when it comes to oil pressure threads. I would use a Tee and kep the oil pressure light.

If I took the oil  pressure sender out, I assume I'd put the thread adapter right on the engine where I took the oil pressure sender off?

If I kept the oil pressure sender,  would the T  go right up to the engine or somewhere on the sender? Sorry for the dumb/obvious questions, I am a newbie when it comes to working on cars. At least I am trying though :D. A picture would help if you got one. Thanks-Jack 

Some pics of your stuff would be good too ;)

If you can get us a pic of the front of the engine where the current idiot light sender is, we can give you some ideas.

The cars that had the factory gauge have the sender screwed in just to the left and at 45 degrees of this.

The factory sender uses a tapered thread, so you'd prob need an adaptor.

dont remember where I read it, but isnt there an extra port in the oil pump for a second sending unit?  I know there are a couple of extra plugs in there besides the relief valve.

sorry I cant remember where that info cam from, was just messing around with an oil pressure problem and stumbled upon it.

dont remember where I read it, but isnt there an extra port in the oil pump for a second sending unit?  I know there are a couple of extra plugs in there besides the relief valve.

sorry I cant remember where that info cam from, was just messing around with an oil pressure problem and stumbled upon it.

There is one extra port in the oil pump. the bigger thread insert in there is for oem oil pressure sender unit and there is second smaller threaded place right under it.