Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with 87 GL-10, esp replacement turbo

Hi, I just acquired an 87 GL-10 turbo wagon. Sadly the seller was an unscrupulous b*stard and lied about the condition of the engine and turbo. I will be checking compression and replacing head gaskets but another issue is the turbo. There is a crack in the flange on the exit side and a vacuum actuated level (not sure what it is) doesn't move. I can't find any info on a place to get a reman not do I see any on eBay. Just wondering if anyone has a lead.

I will likely be posting more as I get along with the project.

Thanks!

Can you post a pic of the lever you're talking about?

If its the wastegate valve, good luck moving that by hand... :o

And a crack in an exhaust flange near the turbo isn't so unusual, nor will it cause too many problems. Especially if its after the turbo.

Just take the chance to modify the dump pipe to include venting the wastegate ;)

Thanks for the reply, wagonist. That makes me feel better. I'm new to the forum so I'll look up how to post pics... doesn't seem there is a direct upload here but I'll fid something.

Yes, the crack is in the exhaust flange but runs up to where the impeller is. I was afraid it might mess with the operation of the impeller but maybe not. I'm sure you are correct on it being the wastegate and I'm glad I'm not supposed to make that move by hand!

I will also look up information on the mod you suggest. The whole engine is out of the car so why not?!

Thanks again for the quick reply.. thought I posted something last night but obviously not.

Ooo.. might have figured up the pic thing, lets try.

post-59170-0-53949100-1437138672_thumb.jpg

post-59170-0-04139300-1437138674_thumb.jpg

I worry about mild steel welch plugs in side of turbo and whether they ever rust through ..... hmm, cracks in turbo, turbo has water in it, one of my turbos gets white creeping tide marks on the outside. I fear it is a water leak of some kind .... like lime creep on brick work !

• 1 month later...