Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drivetrain questions

Hello! I'm new to the site and I was hoping to get some help. I own a '87 GL hatchback 1.6 OHV. I've preformed all the basic maintenance stuff, but now I'm looking to replace the two front CV half shafts/axles. What are the specifications of the CV half shafts/axles I should be looking for? I'm going for OE spec and if so can you point me to a source or outlet? I've already try o'riellys and autozone to no avail. I've also looked on RockAuto but again, I want to make sure I'm getting the right part for my little turd bucket. Anything would be of help and thanks in advance!

And it is best to use the Build Year of 1984 for parts searching/buying.

Saves the headache of getting parts for the EA82 models.

edit;

Forgot to say, "Welcome to the Board".

Edited by TomRhere

Tons of info about axles on this site.   Basically, most remans are junk.  Or maybe 80% of them.   Best to regrease,reboot your OEM's.

What's the deal???? Are they clicking?   Missing?   Grinding?  Torn boots?

I'm fairly new to this site so I'll do some digging on axles. Starting off from 1st you here loud clicks on both CV axles and the boots near the transmission on both sides are torn. It still accelerates fairly decent.

And it is best to use the Build Year of 1984 for parts searching/buying.

Saves the headache of getting parts for the EA82 models.

edit;

Forgot to say, "Welcome to the Board".

Thanks for the heads up. Does the build year still apply for EA71 engines or should i focus on another model year for my particular engine?

parts stores break down the models by year, model number, and engine displacement.  You can get a hatchback or brat from 85-87, that is completely different than other models in the same years, and has the same model number and engine displacement .  if you choose 84 for your year you dont have the different body style subs from the next generation in the mix.

it takes some effort to get the right part if you give them the years of 85-87.