Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! '88 GL with non-original ea-81

i need help with my car. just got a 3 door 1988 GL 4x4 and it ran good when i bought it, but now it wont stay running when i put any load on the engine. i can get it to idle, then if i put load on it, it sputters really bad and stalls. takes a bunch of tries starting to get it to stay running again. the ea81 was put in by the previous owner, and it has a 2 barrel weber carb that i was told needs adjusting. im stuck cuz i have to drive 700 miles and my other car just broke down

Check for vacuum leaks. 4 bolts only holding the carb on, worth taking the carb off and its bottom mount to see if there are leaks. One hour job. Then other vacuum connections and if all that fails to locate it (try to run the engine) then manifold to head gasket check.

Failing that try to rev the engine and look down the carbie throat to see the fuel squirting down. If its dribbling then take jets out and blow air thru them. try again.

Just my ideas. good luck

coil pack normally means more than one coil for the engine. What sort of ignition you got ?

check al your earth connections, battery terminal posts, clean 'em all with sand paper stuff, retighten.