Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 legacy FWD possible transmission problem

the best way to describe the issue is i lose power in the higher gears..the engine continues to run strong...the odd part is when i pull over the problem corrects itself and the car runs good again...BTW i recently had a used transmission installed...is there anything else that could cause this problem besides the transmission? clutch? axle? forgive my ignorance i am not a mechanic at all thank you

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your help...all i can say is it loses power randomly and has even died on me but crank it back up and it works just fine...could that be a clutch causing that? again im a driver not a mechanic so forgive my ignorance...it also could very well be the used transmission i had installed was no good...car continues to run fine most of the time i drive it 100+ miles a day...

If it stalls and you have to re-crank its probably the MAF sensor. There's a common issue with those.

If you can solder you can probably fix it because it's usually just a cracked solder joint where the pins from the connector join the pins on the board inside the housing.

Otherwise, used ones are cheap and usually are fine.

• Like 1