Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas tank filler is leaking, won't take fuel

The filler has a leak so my wife can not get any fuel into the tank. Sometimes it dosnt leak right away but today she could not add any fuel as it just runs all over the ground. Is there any type of liner I could use or does it need to be replaced. Also, the tranny is getting worse. Long delay before going into drive. I already changed fluid/filter and used stop slip. What's next? Thanks

Did you use Stop Slip or Trans-X as per the sacred post on this site?

If your filler tube looks anything like the one in the video, probably best to bite the bullet than monkey around with "Maybe Seal". One and done is best in this case.

Edited by brus brother

I have replaced the filler pipe to both my 98 and 99 Outbacks, because of leaks. Midwest salt on the roads finally takes its toll. I see you live in Michigan, so you get the salt treatment in the winters too. Replacement fill pipes available from on line auto parts stores. I bought mine from Rock Auto. Installation is a dirty job, but rather easily do-able.

If you have a 99 or 00 model Legacy, with an auto tranny, then Trans-X fixes the delayed tranny forward engagement. The "fix" will last about a year. Repeated use of Trans-X fixes the problem for another year. Trans-X is not knows to help any other auto trannies.