Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for some very loose advice... Brat onto frame

How hard would this be? Thinking sammy. Also, want to use a impreza engine/tranny, is there any way I can put the ecu in a box? Like no harness merging. I'm hoping to avoid welding into the frame of the brat as much as possible, as the subframe behind the fuel filler neck is completely rusted out. Just wondering if this is on the side of do not try unless a journeyman welder/fabricator or just a long process

You're going to have to weld on the Brat to do it right. You will need to weld on the mounting points and reinforce the area around those points. 6 mounting points would make it safe. then you have all the work fitting the engine and tranny in. A lot of fabbing here. Way more work here than tearing out your rear suspension and gas tank and fixing it right. Of course, you need a good welder and skills to properly weld sheet metal. Cost and time way outweigh fixing it right.

I was thinking for the front and rear mounting points, just use a Hassey lift style block to go to the mounting points, and in the middle some tubing on the frame rail,with a body mount on each side. I'm decently confident in my welding, especially on the frame (my uncle left his welder here while he's at college/in Antarctica, it's a really nice millermatic). My main reasons for this are easier solid axles, and to someday but in a bbc/4b, definitely can't put a 4bt in a brat on unibody