Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So can I use Side by side/ ATV tires on my First Gen?

While I was at the fair this week I noticed that all the new side by sides, and ATVs have 14, and even 15 inch rims, with some beefy tires on them, with the lack of AT tires for 14, and 15 inch rims that would fit my Impreza (1996 Outback Sport), would these work? I mean those sides by sides are heavy, anybody else notice this? Should I try this?

Maybe something like this? 

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/723/50296/ITP-Ultracross-R-Spec-Radial-ATV-Tire?term=14%20inch%20atv%20tires

My thought is that ATV tires are not designed for road speed applications, and so cannot withstand the higher amount of heat that high speed generates. They are designed for slow, off road application, and prolly should only be used for that purpose.

There are a handful of manufacturers that make 27x8.5R14 AT and offroad tires. General used to make the grabber AT2 in that size, they may still but I don't know for sure.

Do some digging and you'll find some. They tend to cost less than those ATV tires as well.