Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door interchange -- put 1999 OBW door on 1996 Legacy?

Hi Gurus --

So, I crashed my '96 a while ago and have finally gotten around to fixing it. I need a passenger fender and a passenger door. I found a 1999 OBW at the local pic and pull and, of course, they won't let me bring my old door in to compare. I'm not too worried about the fender -- looks exactly the same (albeit a different color). The door looks very similar and the parts interchange person said the 199 would work on the 1996, BUT... with a note about how the window regulator might be different.

Anyone have any tips as to if the door will just drop into the '96? As always, thank you for the advice!

-Ben

What door? The fronts will physically bolt up and work, not completely sure about the wiring, though. Just unhook the connectors on your car and see if they match the donor car.

If it's a rear door it WILL NOT work. Sometime between 96 and 99 they added an extra little safety thingy toward the back of the door for extra strength in a crash or something. This will cause 99 back doors to not close on a 96, ask me how I figured this out  :banghead:

Maybe it's a wagon vs sedan issue there, not sure. But I tried 99 OBW doors in a 96 leg.

Wiring changed in the drivers door I know. Dunno about the passenger door, but that really isn't hard to swap.

The regulator may be different but that shouldn't matter because the window is the same shape. The regulator just moves it up and down.

Make some accurate measurements and take pictures of the door and the profile inside the door jamb to compare.

the door, front passengere door will bolt on and close and latch.

but the wiring is different.

the 99 has a separate ''door lock'' button,

the 96 does not.

the 96 activates all the lkocks when ever the manual lock is operated.

the 99 operates all the locks ONLY when the ''door lock'' button is operatewd.

if the 99 door is manually locked, (at the door latch pull)

only the passenger side front door will lock.

but if you are willing ot swap the harness in the door,

i bet the hardware would work the same,

but this is just a guess.

Edited by johnceggleston