Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy AT oil temp lights,engine stalls

Put original cam sensor back in car . Still no spark.checked all connections,vacuuming hoses etc that I disconnected when swapping out temp sensor . No spark. What could I have done when swapping out sensors listed above that would create no spark situation? Original problem had spark would fire and run first thing in morning but stall just before reaching operating temp( gauge almost at normal operating location but thermostat I don't believe open as radiator still cool,not pressurized). I'm afraid to try anything else until I know why no spark now. Any ideas?

Checked codes and sure enough showed crank sensor circuit issue. Found one of the leads broken. Fixed that. Now no code, but still no go. Cranks strong but.... When I pull a plug wire ,put in one of the plugs I just replaced and ground plug to engine I don't see a spark like I did before replacing sensor. However a shot of starter fluid and she fires up and dies, wouldn't that indicate a spark? Anyway I'm gonna take everything apart that got moved when replacing the sensors mentioned above and make sure no other connections where compromised. But then what? Fuel pump?, computer? Anything else? Any way to test before swapping out with my parts car?

Won't start now but before I swapped out sensors would start when cold idle at between 1500-2000 as engine warmed would idle down to @ 750. As approached normal operating temp but before thermostat opened(radiator still cool) would idle down to @ 500 and then stall. Would generally only crank but not fire after that. If I shut her off before it got hot enough to stall was able to restart. When she fires up now ,with the aid of starter fluid, she only runs about 5-10 sec and dies. Giving it gas does nothing.

Okay ,got her going. Rechecked fuel flow before filter. This time nothing, explains why not c arching at all. Swapped out fuel pump from parts car and bam she's good . Have run for 2 days now,put on over 100 miles .no issues. Problem solved. My guess was when I checked fuel earlier ,when she would start but die when engine warmed and idle dropped,fuel flowed but didn't gush ,pump was failing, still pumping gas but not enough pressure. So would run when cold and idling high enough to keep from stalling but when warm idle dropped and she starved and stalled. Does that make sense. Pump finally quit altogether creating no start at all situation. Any way the dogs are happy one as am I. Thanks to all for your. Input.