Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the twin port EA81S - why EA82 not much same ?

jono

anyone ever thought about why the EA82 does not go as hard as an EA81S given the EA81S and EA82 share same valve configuration as in  >>>   ex, in, in ex

and a standard EA81 is > in ex ex in

The EA81S also had was it siamesed exhaust ports and twin carbs

What if EA81 twin carbs were fitted to an EA82? Still no spin like an EA81S allegedly does ....

Edited by jono

Jesek I beg to differ the twin carb EA81S  has much more intake area than any form of EA82 when it comes to being able to take air in to make more power, To even come close an EA 82 needs either a much bigger throttle body or better yet two throttle bodies set apart like the EA 81S.

The spacing of the Twin carbs on the EA81 S results in a much shorter effective intake length and shorter intake manifolding always allows for higher power outputs but lower bottom end torque, That is one major reason why the EA 81S  makes Revs and the normal EA 81 makes better low end torque but makes little power when revved in stock form.

Add in the extra breathing ability of more intake area with the twin carburettors plus the reversed Valve layout giving an even shorter intake path, better cam Timing to suit, Higher Compression and seperated Exhaust ports and then you begin to see why they work so well.

An EA 82 with shorter manifolding will benefit much the same and I see no reason why  with a normal EA 82 SPFI style engine EA 81S Manifolding and twin carbs cannot be used and it will allow a much shorter intake tract length with the better top end breathing that entails but also more response if not torque lower down in the RPM range.

Also do not be so sure Subaru did not try such a setup in testing, They probably did but as you allude to could not get it emmissions friendly enough despite probably great power gains to make use of such a setup in production.

Yes, you're right, maybe they "Tried" such twin carb setup on the EA82;

what I really meant to say was "They Never Offered" the twin carb setup on the EA82.

Sorry, my mistake ... However, I'm not sure about this:

... the twin carb EA81S  has much more intake area than any form of EA82 ...

Because as I wrote above, certain Natural Aspirated M.P.F.i and certain Turbo EA82 engines, Offered a nice "Spider" intake manifolds, and I don't know how to compare those to the EA81S.

In fact, the last setup found on the last Racing EA81S is the only one I really Like the most, Subaru offered Twin Weber Carbs from Factory, each one mounted directly to each Head; That setup was used on the 1983 safari rally... 

safari-2.jpg

safariengine.jpg

...but Subaru already had M.P.F.i Turbo since 1982 in Japan, and 1983 Worldwide...

subaru_1983_turbo_brat.jpg

I would loved to see an EA82 with such Twin Weber Setup ... Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Actually, there was a twin carb EA82, but extremely rare and extremely limited release period. I've only ever seen one and that was a series 1 JDM import something like 25 years ago. Have never found any more info anywhere about them. Never got a chance to see what the manifold was like though, but I remember the air filter box was the same overall shape as the standard carb one which suggests a manifold similarly shaped to the pic above.

My 2nd car was an 85 touring wagon which had a Jap import motor. It went unbelievably hard, to the point where it wasn't that much slower (which is a relative term :P) to the EA82T I replaced it with. Sold it to a mate who put it in his car and then could almost keep up. Mind you DL model vs JDM full luxury model means he probably had a good 100kg weight saving :P

I suspect the EA82 has some flow flaws into the head, plus there's the rolling resistance of the 2nd camshaft and driving a belt. Pushrods are probably more energy efficient, but don't allow as efficient a combustion chamber shape

In fact, even some of the early third gen Subaru Leones, were sold with EA81 engines from Factory, such models were most commonly found in Latin America, but I recall that there is a USMB member that reported to see one of those third gen with EA81 from factory, in USA; his user name is "General Disorder".

So, that being said, I can not be sure if the Twin carb engine that our friend "Wagonist" saw long years ago, was a EA82 or an EA81 indeed.

Those third gen Subaru Leone, were sold in Latin America, mainly with the EA71 (1.6L) engine on the Wagon, and with the EA65 (1.3L) engine on the sedan; the 1.8L engine was Optional, unless you purchased the "Top of the line" model.

Kind Regards.