Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Selling a vehicle safely

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2015/09/no_author/how-to-sell-your-car-safely/

I listed a Mazda 626 years ago and got the usual types of people when selling cheaper cars; finally a babysitter came by, said she wanted it, gave me a rubber check and by that time she was long gone with the check and the car and I had no recourse.  The cops weren't interested in a case under $1000 and when I contacted the people she had worked for they didn't want to say anything.

• Like 1

I live on a corner lot next to a major city street, and have a good side yard to display cars for sale. Over the years, as a car agent, I have sold a lot of cars for friends, and from people who have heard that I sell cars. Often, I will list the car on Craig's list. My commission is $400 per sale, when I sell the car. Always sell a car for cash only. If I trust the people, we close the deal in my home living room. If I have any doubts about the seller, then I have them meet at my bank, where an armed guard is stationed. I have never had any trouble in any sales transition. I always ride with someone on a test drive to answer any questions, and to keep a mild sales pitch going in conversation. I would not trust someone driving alone, even if I had their driver's license. You just have to use your head in dealing with people that you don't know. I have had a number of wierd people show up to look at a car. If you act strong, and have convictions, they will sense that, and leave quietly. Just my story, and humble opinions.

• Like 2

Pay and accept cash only.  If you feel like something is wrong with the deal or don't feel safe do the transaction at the local police or sheriffs office parking lot. 

If you are selling print up two bill of sales with the words AS IS in big capital bold letters, leave the price blank and fill it in when you accept the cash.  Have a area on both bill of sales for both of you to sign.  Give one copy to the other person and you keep the other one. 

I have never had a problem selling or buying a car from a private person but there is always the first time. 

Edited by jp98

If you are selling print up two bill of sales with the words AS IS
in big capital bold letters, leave the price blank and fill it in when
you accept the cash.  Have a area on both bill of sales for both of you
to sign.  Give one copy to the other person and you keep the other one.

Agree 100% on your advise jp98, as copied above. I do the same thing, so there is no confusion about what conditions as to what is being sold, and what is being bought. When I sell a car for someone, I make sure it is a reasonably good car, and not junk that someone will be quickly disappointed that they bought it. A satisfyed customer makes for a satisfyed deal.

There are many people who try to flip vehicles through jumping on Bargain News type vehicle ads and, as I encountered on my Outback purchase a few years ago, and took the title from the guy they had bought it at $1200 and resold it to me after correcting an issue for $3000.  I don't know how the state keeps track of cash transactions like that for tax purposes.  

On a side note this marshall who was seizing vehicles for taxes and was finally nailed for fraud escaped arrest for many years:  http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Cops-Ex-Fairfield-County-high-sheriff-charged-6313743.php