Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'97 Legacy rim / tire selection (sorry)

I tried to search this as I feel like it's something that would have been easy to find, but what I found was mainly about what tires you can bolt on to certain levels of lift. My legacy is bone stock, suspension and otherwise. The wheel FAQ didn't say much about fitment issues.

I feel like in my searching I've found that stock outback rims could work, but I'd have to go with a tire with less height, like a 205/55-16. According to the tire size calculator on the miata site, those have about .7 in in diameter. If the limiting factor is the strut tower, wouldn't a modest offset help prevent the wheel from hitting that??

I'd like to get a slightly bigger tire for winter because as it is, i scrape the very bottom of my hitch where I'm driving most often (lots of sharp incline / declines.) I believe I've read that the WRX rims will fit, but I don't need anything fancy. A set of steel rims would work fine.

Is it going to be more realistic for me to fit 15 in rims over 16's?

Again, I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Edited by TypeOPositive

The rims will fit, but your tire size will be the limiting factor.

If your car is dragging that much, your car would be a great candidate for a set of outback struts. You can swap the whole assemblies from a 96-99 outback for a couple inches of suspension lift and then clear a 27 inch tire for some good ground clearance.

After Lifting my 98 Outback BACK to stock it looked great and allowed a larger tire- both asthetically and functionally.. The stock springs on your Soob (what year) might have settled substantially. Subaru springs are less than adequate. An aftermarket spring increasing the rate would resist the vehicles saggy stance.

They would only give more height if your current struts are blown.

Options would be

1 inch hub spacers which would let you clear a slightly larger tire.

Go up a tire size or two as is. Use a measuring tape to see how tall and wide a tire you can stuff in there without rubbing.

Outback struts/springs - far and away your best option. Gives about 2 inches right away and will give you a couple more depending on tire size and can clear up to a 28 inch tire if you so choose. - regardless of axle warranty. If they are good axles they will last a long time. If they are chinese made, you'd be swapping them every 3-6 months anyway until you buy good ones. And remember that axles are the same for both legacy and outback and that outback struts are quite stock. I don't see how anyone could hassle you on that as you are still within stock specifications and OEM parts.

Strut top spacers which would give you height but not clear bigger tires. You can cut up to 3/8 inch HDPE spacers without knocking the stock bolts out. Up to 1 inch if you replace the strut top bolts with longer ones. And then any size after that in steel lift brackets.

Edited by AdventureSubaru