Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque Camshaft Seal/Retainer Bolts

subdude

Guess we ran out of patience and torqued it to 70 in. lbs. thinking that would be a good compromise but one of the bolts spun at 70 and when we removed it , it appears to have a thread repair attached to it. Any ideas on what size thread repair we should use? It appears to be a 6mm bolt.

M6 x 1.00

Often times on those EA/ER engines - the bolt holes are much deeper than the original bolts.  So you can get a longer bolt and just insert it down there to grab the deeper threads.

I like to chase it with a M6x1.00 tap first to clean it all up.  I have no clue how many times I've done that.

Find some longer M6x1.00 bolts that are longer and give it a shot, use washers as spacers under the head if they're too long or cut the threads shorter and chase the ends with a die to smooth out the cut threads.

• Like 1

But yes - if they're totally hosed and not enough threads - just repair it.

Could probably even find a larger size bolt to tap too - standard size just a wee bigger or thread repair inserts should work fine.

Ring angle drill attachment if it's in the vehicle.  put the drill bit in a vice and WAAAAIL it with a hammer and it'll shear off to make it short enough to fit in front of the engine with a right angle drill or attachment.  be careful - the sheared of drill bit will fly and bounce all over the garage - where goggles and don't hit anything breakable.

Edited by grossgary

Thanks so much for the help. We'll hunt up a longer bolt before digging up the goggles!  :D  Just curious, have you ever used Loctite Thread Repair? 

no, not really.  i'm sure I've put locktite on a questionable bolt before - but i always address bad threads first and consider this extra insurance.  it would probably be fine for somethign benign like a cam cap though.

Thanks for the replies and helpful info. Just got back to the 'roo today and cut a longer 6mm x 1 bolt so that it was about 1/4" longer than original. After chasing the threads with tap all went well with new bolt and a lock washer... THANKS GARY! Thanks too for info about free FSM downloads. We actually ended up finding workable links here on USMB for 1989 models. BTW the torque values in the FSM were identical to Chilton's/AllData at 4.3-5.1 ft. lbs. Not really sure what the Haynes is all about at 80-97 inch pounds, but we ended up at 60 inch pounds for all 4 bolts. The Loctite thread repair is actually an epoxy and release agent for "creating" new threads that are supposed to support up to 128 foot pounds when cured...I would suspect it is about the equivalent of a combination of JB Weld and petroleum jelly! Here is the link at NAPA:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Thread-Repair-Chemical-Loctite-Form-A-Thread/_/R-NCB28654_0195609250.