Ultimate Subaru Message Board

post-35628-0-25152800-1442599180_thumb.jpgI have several ej22 and ej25  engines stored on furniture dollies.They work great in the ability to move around shop. How can I safely keep the engines on the dollies in a position to store them and work on them without damaging them.

Right now the motor mounts are supporting most of the weight of the engines on the dollies. However they are always either leaning on the dipstick tube support or on the thermostat housings and oil filter. I'm looking for better solution. 

Having the weight of engine supported just by oil pan or just by heads doesn't seem like a good idea. Setting the engine in a tire on the dolly makes the engine sink

to low to work on it.The way I'm doing it now doesn't seem like a good idea either. 

The engine on blue carpeted dolly is sitting on motor mounts and dip stick support tube. The engine on the dolly with 4x4s is sitting on motor mounts thermostat housing and oil filter.post-35628-0-29934200-1442517242_thumb.jpgpost-35628-0-08678200-1442517287_thumb.jpg

Is the way I'm storing engines now damaging the water pump, oil pan dipstick tube or where the oil filter connects to engine. Or since the motors are light is this storage method okay. post-35628-0-25152800-1442599180_thumb.jpg 

Edited by steve56

many rebuilders ship engines on pallets with minor blocking.

they place a block at the lower trans stubs and bell housing.

it may be beveled to match the angles involved.

so the load is not all on the end of the stud,

it is closer to the bell housing.

the engine rests on the lower trans studs,

and the oil pan.

that's it.

as a matter of fact,

the ej25 has a flt spot on the oil pan so it seats well on the floor or pallet.

this also prevent denting.

Edited by johnceggleston

I don't have pictures, but hopefully I can explain it to you.  I've got about three engines and 4 transmissions in my garage and I needed a way to move them around, if necessary.

I went and bought three furniture dollies and two 10' or 12' 2x4" boards and set them on edge with the dollies spaced evenly from end to end on the two boards and screwed it all together.

The heads of each engine rest on the top of the 2" section of the 2x4.  I'll get some pictures if it would help.

Thanks for the suggestions.I want to be able to safely support the engines and still be able to do a timing belt or head gasket right from the dolly. I've used carfreak85  method for storing the engine. Unfortunately you cant remove the heads using that storing method.

If I can safely use the lower trans stubs and oil pan as support points for the engine as johnceggleston suggested,  that would be great. I'm not sure what a lower trans stub is though. I've added a picture of an upside down ej 25 on an engine stand. Where is the trans stub in that picture?