Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So... Theoretically....

The adjustments must be checked, most certainly if you swapped the rocker assys. Sometimes you have to just quit for the night. Start fresh tomorrow. Watch the Mentalist or throw in a Star Wars dvd. Heres a couple threads to read while you chill.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/152312-ea81-rocker-arm-assy-left-and-right/

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/155873-ea81-valve-adjustment-issues/

Im not thare so Im only giving an opinion. If they are reversed then theres a good chance swapping them back will get it to start. Ive never gone this deep withought adjusting the valves. Kinda a requirement for this job on the solid lifter motors. Too many variables like pushrods getting mixed up, head surfacing and new gasket thickness. They are always off after... I would take my advice in my previous thread, when you push too hard mistakes happen.

Alright so I switched the rocker assy and it runs now but EXTREMELY rough. So I guess I need to adjust the valves. I found some info on a website about how to do it. Does this look like the proper procedure to you?

1)turn crankshaft until dist points at cylinder 1 (trace the plug wire
from the passengers side --left as your facing it-- back to the dist.)
2)make sure crankshaft pulley mark is lined up with center of
crankcase (the seam where the two halves meet)
3)pop off the valve cover
4)intake: .010, exhaust: .014

spin crankshaft CLOCKWISE 180 degrees. this is 1/2 turn, until the
mark on the opposite side of the pulley is lined up with the case
seam.

now you adjust valves for cylinder 3, which is FRONT, passenger side.

turn 180

adjust #2 valves (drivers side, front)

turn 180

adjust #4 valves (drivers side, rear)

I tried to tell you this has to be done. It probably would have been easier than swapping the shafts back. Your supposed to loosen the adjusters befor you pull the rocker assy anyways. That procedure is correct, but I never use the marks to do it. It really dont matter what order you do them in either as long as the cyl being adjusted is at tdc. Once you start doing it and wrap your head around it youll figure it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: 

Okay so I got my valves adjusted and it fired up after two cranks!  :headbang:

Runs good except I think the electric choke on the stupid Hitachi is still messed up because the high idle wont engage when cold and once when it warms up it idles at about 1200-1300rpms (instead of 800-900). tried to burp the cooling system (got it on an incline, let it run up to temp with the cap off, heater on, also squeezed the upper and lower hoses multiple times to try to force any air out.) but I think there is still a bubble in the system because it seems to be getting a little warm still... of coarse I am still going by the dash gauge which is pretty inaccurate. Other than that, the ol' EA81 seems to be purring right along!